I am a lecturer in the Work, Employment and Organisation department, mostly on our tourism and hospitality courses. Tourism is one of my key research interests which I have approached from the theoretical frameworks of human geography, development studies, tourism management and innovation studies.
Before joining the Strathclyde Business School, I was a Senior Research Specialist in the Economic Planning and Development unit at the Human Sciences Research Council in Cape Town where I worked on a range of projects with policy impact. I also have experience as a tourism and business studies lecturer and as a consultancy researcher.
I am affiliated as an associate researcher with the School of Tourism and Hospitality at the Univeristy of Johannesburg, South Africa, where I held a post-doc position and also completed my PhD.
Prizes and awards
- TWAS/DFG Collaborative Visit Grant
- Newton Mobility Grant
- NRF researcher rating
- Scarce Skills Doctoral Scholarship
- Young researcher excellence award
- Best student in course work: Masters in Development Studies
More prizes and awards
PhD Geography, University of Johannesburg, 2015
Masters in Development Studies, University of the Free State, 2008
Post-graduate Certificate in Education, University of Pretoria, 2002
B.Com Tourism Management, University of Pretoria, 2000
Tourism and business studies lecturing and supervision
My research interests include local and regional economic development and planning; social innovation; innovation measurement; tourism innovation; tourism sustainability; tourism livelihoods, employment and workplace issues; creative industries - employment and spatial perspectives.
- Conference special stream: Reconnecting experiences of sexual harassment and workplace violence through intersectionality beyond borders
- The impact of Covid-19 on employment experiences in the Scottish hospitality and tourism sector
More professional activities
- Confronting customer abuse and harassment during the Covid-19 crisis? Evidence from Scotland’s
- Hadjisolomou, Tasos (Principal Investigator) Baum, Thomas (Co-investigator) Booyens, Irma (Co-investigator) Nickson, Dennis (Co-investigator)
- 01-Jan-2021 - 31-Jan-2022
Work, Employment and Organisation
University of Strathclyde
in a larger map