An academic and a chartered, professional engineer with an internationally recognized reputation for research and knowledge exchange in naval architecture, ocean and marine engineering. Strong researcher in the field of safety of marine operations and design for safety for more than 23 years, receiving a number of international awards for his work.
He is currently the Director of the Maritime Safety Research Centre, sponsored by RCCL and DNVGL. He is also director of KE Proposals Development Director at NAOME. Co-inventor for a pending patent and PI and Co-I in EU and UK funded research projects. KE projects coordinator in UK and for EU-funded training courses.
Very committed to professional institutions through work with the Royal Institute of Naval Architects (RINA) in UK and the Society of Naval Architects and Marine Engineers (SNAME) in US. Maximizing the impact as a member of the Royal Institute of Naval Architects’ Delegation to IMO on Ship Design & Construction and the International Intercessional correspondence group developing the new regulations for the international shipping. Member of the International Towing Tank Committee (ITTC) Technical Committee on Stability in Waves. Member of the Stability R&D Committee associated with the International Conference on the Stability of Ships and Offshore Structures (STAB). Member of the IMarEST Alternative Fuels from Shipping Special Interest Group and SNAME’s SD-11: Post Incident Safety Assurance Panel.
He has produced more than 120 publications in journals and international peer-reviewed conferences, he is the co-editor of the Proceedings of STAB 2015 and has 5 chapters in books.
Safety of marine operations; Design for safety; Holistic Ship Design; Multi-objective Ship Design optimisation; Survivability of Ships; Vulnerability of ships and offshore structures; Damage Stability; Stability in Waves; New Intact Stability Criteria; Direct assessment of ship stability (damage and intact) in waves; Collision avoidance simulation; Ship evacuation and the impact to safety and security; Alternative Fuels from Shipping; Advanced Marine Vehicles; Crashworthiness of ship structures; Autonomous Ships; Warship design and susceptibility.
- Ocean Engineering (Journal)
- Peer reviewer
more professional activities
- Assessment of specific EU stability requirements for ro-ro passenger ships
- Vassalos, Dracos (Principal Investigator) Boulougouris, Evangelos (Co-investigator) Cichowicz, Jakub (Co-investigator)
- Period 02-May-2017 - 01-Sep-2018
- eSAFE Enhanced Stability After a Flooding Event
- Vassalos, Dracos (Principal Investigator) Boulougouris, Evangelos (Co-investigator)
- Period 01-Nov-2016 - 30-Sep-2018
- Towards Game-changer Service Operation Vessels for Offshore Windfarms (NEXUS) H2020-BG-2016-2017
- Vassalos, Dracos (Principal Investigator) Bedford, Tim (Co-investigator) Boulougouris, Evangelos (Co-investigator) Bujorianu, Luminita (Co-investigator) Lazakis, Iraklis (Co-investigator) McMillan, David (Co-investigator) Puisa, Romanas (Co-investigator) Quigley, John (Co-investigator) Revie, Matthew (Co-investigator) Theotokatos, Gerasimos (Co-investigator) Walls, Lesley (Co-investigator)
- Period 01-Nov-2017 - 31-Oct-2020
- Decision Support Tool for Modelling Security Scenarios Onboard Passenger Ships
- Boulougouris, Evangelos (Principal Investigator) Vassalos, Dracos (Co-investigator)
- Period 06-Feb-2017 - 01-May-2017
- FOAM Part 2 - DSRS Project
- Boulougouris, Evangelos (Principal Investigator) Liggat, John (Co-investigator) Vassalos, Dracos (Co-investigator)
- Period 01-Apr-2016 - 26-Sep-2017
- HOLISHIP HOLIstic optimisation of SHIP design and operation for life cycle (H2020 SC4)
- Boulougouris, Evangelos (Principal Investigator) Day, Alexander (Co-investigator) Theotokatos, Gerasimos (Co-investigator) Yuan, Zhiming (Co-investigator)
- Period 01-Sep-2016 - 31-Aug-2020
Naval Architecture, Ocean and Marine Engineering
Henry Dyer Building
View University of Strathclyde in a larger map