Emma Congreve is a Knowledge Exchange Fellow at the Fraser of Allander Institute, leading the Institute’s work on poverty, inequality and inclusive growth.
Emma is an experienced economist and has previously held roles as a senior economist at the Joseph Rowntree Foundation and as an economic adviser within the Scottish Government.
Her particular area of expertise is economic policy relating to low income households. She also has a background in a range of policy areas, including local government finance and environment and agricultural economic policy.
Issues affecting low income households including social security & low pay
Inclusive growth and 'wellbeing' policy
Modelling of household incomes
- Fraser of Allander Election 2021 Podcast Series
- Fraser of Allander Institute 2021 Scottish Election Webinar
- Support and opportunities for adults with learning disabilities in Scotland
- Economic Futures: Autumn Webinar Series
- Fraser of Allander COVID-19 Webinar
- Fraser of Allander Podcast series
More professional activities
- SLF Child Poverty
- Congreve, Emma (Principal Investigator) Mitchell, Mark (Co-investigator)
- 02-Jan-2021 - 01-Jan-2022
- Fraser of Allander Election 2021 Briefing
- Congreve, Emma (Principal Investigator) Mitchell, Mark (Co-investigator) McIntyre, Stuart (Co-investigator) Eiser, David (Co-investigator) Spowage, Mairi (Co-investigator) Watts, Robert (Co-investigator) McGeoch, Adam (Researcher) Cooper, Benjamin (Researcher) Black, James (Researcher) Brocek, Frantisek (Researcher)
- 24-Jan-2021 - 04-Jan-2021
- Data for Children's Collaborative - Socioeconomic Impacts of COVID-19 on Children in Scotland
- Congreve, Emma (Principal Investigator) Brown, Alistair (Researcher) Sims, Rhiannon (Researcher)
- Collaborative project to understand potential socioeconomic impacts of COVID-19 on children in Scotland, data that exists and users of that data.
- 03-Jan-2020 - 02-Jan-2020
- Support and Opportunities for Adults with Learning Disabilities
- Congreve, Emma (Principal Investigator) Watts, Robert (Principal Investigator)
- A year long programme of work looking at aspects of wellbeing and quality of life for working age people with learning disabilities in Scotland
- 01-Jan-2020 - 30-Jan-2021
- Inclusive Growth in Northern Ireland
- Congreve, Emma (Principal Investigator) Cooper, Benjamin (Principal Investigator) Spowage, Mairi (Principal Investigator) Black, James (Principal Investigator)
- This report was commissioned by the Department for the Economy to examine the potential for embracing and monitoring inclusive growth in Northern Ireland. This report looks widely at existing literature on inclusive growth and the evidence to support its adoption as a core economic strategy as a means to improve living standards and reduce inequalities in society.
- 15-Jan-2019 - 01-Jan-2020
- Joseph Rowntree Foundation: Poverty in Scotland 2019
- Congreve, Emma (Principal Investigator)
- Poverty in Scotland 2019 looks at the impact that governments have had on
poverty in Scotland over the past 20 years and how this evidence can be used to
inform policy development for the future. This report underlines the importance
of housing costs, alongside social security and work, in solving poverty in
- 05-Jan-2019 - 07-Jan-2019