My Research interests bring together the areas of international and EU migration law, migration governance, human rights law, vulnerability theory and citizenship. My research is multidisciplinary and has a strong socio-legal dimension.
I have extensively published in the areas of migrants’ social and economic rights, with a focus on irregular migrants and asylum seekers’ right to health care; migrants and the European Convention on Human Rights; human rights and migration governance; vulnerability theory and migration law and policy; EU asylum law and policy; migrants and citizenship; and refugee integration.
I have conducted research projects with the Scottish Refugee Council and the British Red Cross in the area of migrants and asylum seekers’ rights.
I was a visiting scholar at the University of Montreal and the International Institute of Human Rights in Strasbourg.
I am a member of the editorial board of Laws.
I represent the University of Strathclyde on the Board of Directors of the Glasgow-based Ethnic Minorities Law Centre in my capacity as Special Director.
I currently teach European Union Law (undergraduate core class on LLB and BA programmes) and International Migration Law (postgraduate class).
I am a member of the Scottish Universities Legal Network on Europe (SULNE).
I was the Director for Postgraduate Research in the Law School from 2015 to 2020.
I welcome applications for postgraduate research (PhD and MPhil) in the following areas:
- Migrants’ human rights.
- EU asylum and migration laws and policies.
- Migration governance.
- International migration law.
- International refugee law.
- Refugee and migrant integration.
- EU citizenship.
- Social and economic rights.
- UACES Annual Conference
- SLS Annual Conference
- Keynote on ‘Humanising the EU’s Migration Policy: Recognising Irregular Migrants’ Humanity’
- ‘Rethinking the Common European Asylum System’
- Brexit and Scottish Legal Education
- The future of EU Law Teaching after Brexit
More professional activities
- GCRF One Ocean Hub
- Morgera, Elisa (Principal Investigator) Baum, Thomas (Co-investigator) Cathcart, Alison (Co-investigator) Clark, Bryan (Co-investigator) Da Lomba, Sylvie (Co-investigator) Heath, Mike (Co-investigator) Revie, Matthew (Co-investigator) Sindico, Francesco (Co-investigator) Switzer, Stephanie (Co-investigator) Vermeylen, Saskia (Co-investigator) Webster, Elaine (Co-investigator) Laverick, Jack (Researcher)
- 13-Jan-2019 - 12-Jan-2024
- The asylum process and access to maternity care services - Glasgow case study
- Quinn, Neil (Principal Investigator) Da Lomba, Sylvie (Co-investigator)
- 01-Jan-2015 - 31-Jan-2016
- BTG: Promoting the health and well-being of ethnic minority families in Glasgow
- Sime, Daniela (Academic) Quinn, Neil (Academic) Meer, Nasar (Academic) Da Lomba, Sylvie (Academic) Garvey, Brian (Academic) Fassetta, Giovanna (Academic) Siebelt, Lindsay (Academic) Moore-Milne, Keith (Co-investigator)
- 16-Jan-2014 - 15-Jan-2015
- Women Asylum Seekers’ Access to Free NHS Maternity Care in Glasgow after a Negative Decision on their Asylum Claim
- Da Lomba, Sylvie (Principal Investigator)
- The project aims to investigate female asylum seekers’ experiences of accessing NHS maternity care in Glasgow after a negative decision on their asylum claim with a view to assessing the adequacy and implementation of statutory regulations and Scottish Government guidance, and measuring the current legal and policy framework in Scotland against international human rights obligations.
- 16-Jan-2012 - 23-Jan-2014