Professor Allister Ferguson FRSE, is the Professor of Photonics in the Department of Physics at the University of Strathclyde. He founded the Institute of Photonics and has led discussions on the formation of the Technology and Innovation Centre and the establishment of the relationship between Fraunhofer and the university. He is a former Deputy Principal giving him responsibility for the university research and knowledge exchange portfolio.
He was the principal investigator on a RCUK Science Bridges project that brought together four Scottish universities (Heriot Watt, Glasgow, St.Andrews and Strathclyde) with two Californian universities (Stanford and Caltech) under the banner of SU2P. The SU2P collaboration continues funded by the university and industry partners and seeks to extract economic impact of the joint research based through knowledge exchange. He chairs the SU2P Executive Committee.
He has worked with NPL since the early 1980s. He was the recipient of the first NPL Metrology Award in 1983.
He is a Fellow of the Institute of Physics, the Optical Society of America, the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers and the Royal Society of Edinburgh.
His present role is as Senior Adviser to the Principal
- SU2P MidIR & THz Workshop 2013
- Andrew Moore
- SU2P at SPRC Symposium
- Thomas Cizmar
- Frank Gunn Moore
- SU2P SSL&NLO Workshop
More professional activities
- Passive Q-Switching of Solid State Lasers | Smillie, Marc
- Kemp, Alan (Principal Investigator) Ferguson, Allister (Co-investigator) Smillie, Marc (Research Co-investigator)
- 01-Jan-2011 - 14-Jan-2018
- EPSRC DOCTORAL TRAINING GRANT | Reilly, Sean
- Kemp, Alan (Principal Investigator) Ferguson, Allister (Co-investigator) Reilly, Sean (Research Co-investigator)
- 01-Jan-2011 - 15-Jan-2015
- EPSRC DOCTORAL TRAINING GRANT | Kane, Daniel John
- Kemp, Alan (Principal Investigator) Ferguson, Allister (Co-investigator) Kane, Daniel John (Research Co-investigator)
- 01-Jan-2011 - 03-Jan-2016
- Doctoral Training Grant 2010 | Bennett, Thomas
- Kemp, Alan (Principal Investigator) Ferguson, Allister (Co-investigator) Bennett, Thomas (Research Co-investigator)
- 01-Jan-2011 - 01-Jan-2015
- Stanford-Scotland Photonics Innovation Collaboration (Science Bridges)
- Ferguson, Allister (Principal Investigator) Ackemann, Thorsten (Co-investigator) Burns, David (Co-investigator) Dawson, Martin (Co-investigator) McConnell, Gail (Co-investigator) Riis, Erling (Co-investigator)
- The Universities of Strathclyde, St Andrews, Heriot-Watt and Glasgow, together with Stanford University and the California Institute of Technology (Caltech), are collaborating in a project which has won funding worth £1.6 million over three years from the Science Bridges awards, announced by Research Councils UK (RCUK).
The project, SU2P, is designed to capitalise on leading research in the photonics sector, in fields including life sciences and renewable energy, and the commercial opportunities the research offers.
It will also bolster existing links between universities and businesses in Scotland and the US.
The three-year venture between the six institutions focuses on:
■Biophotonics, including stem cell imaging and neuroscience photonics
■Solar cell devices and characterisation
■Solid-state laser engineering and nonlinear optics
■Photonics sensors, including atom and quantum optic sensors and environmental science and technology
The project gives talented young researchers the opportunity to experience working in laboratories in California. It also enables businesses in the US and the UK to share ideas and expertise with academics in both countries.
- 01-Jan-2009 - 28-Jan-2013
- EPSRC Doctoral Training Grant | Muellenbroich, Marie Caroline
- Wright, Amanda (Principal Investigator) Ferguson, Allister (Co-investigator) Muellenbroich, Marie Caroline (Research Co-investigator)
- 01-Jan-2008 - 07-Jan-2012
John Anderson Building
View University of Strathclyde in a larger map