Dr David Grierson is Deputy Head of Architecture (http://www.strath.ac.uk/architecture/) and Director of Internationalisation at the Department of Architecture, University of Strathclyde Glasgow. He also chairs the Graduate School of Engineering, and has directed the ground breaking Faculty-wide postgraduate programme in Sustainable Engineering since 2004 (http://www.strath.ac.uk/suseng/).
As a member of University Court and Senate, David contributed to a strategic review of decision-making structures and processes, and to the strategic plan of the University. His educational and research expertise in architecture, engineering, ecology and sustainability has led to over 50 international publications in this area. It has also led to his appointment as visiting professor at Universities in Doha in Qatar, & Rome and Florence in Italy. He has been appointed external examiner at University College London (UCL), Sheffield Hallam University, and Queen's University Belfast, and was invited by EPSRC to review the Europe-China grant applications for collaborative research in Green Economy and Understanding Population Change. David has secured substantial funding for knowledge exchange projects (consultancy, CPD, feasibility studies), postgraduate scholarships, and skills training development from the EU, Scottish Government, Scottish Enterprise, EPSRC, and RCUK.
David is the first appointed visiting professor at Arcosanti in Arizona, USA. He has also been appointed to the Steering Committee of the Cosanti Foundation, USA, overseeing the strategic plan for the future development of Arcosanti (https://arcosanti.org/). He is a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy.
David's research focuses on the nexus between technology, ecology, and architecture to support design decision-making for a more balanced relationship between the built & natural environments, as well as exploring new teaching methods. He leads the efforts of the CRIDS research cluster at the University of Strathclyde towards resilient and sustainable responses to social, environmental, and economic challenges associated with buildings and cities, in both developed and developing countries.
- Forging Advances in Sustainable Architecture and Urbanism, Editorial, (Editors) Grierson, D. & Salama, A. M. 1 Dec 2016 In : Open House International. 41, 4, p. 4 - 6 2 p.
- Journal Special Issue: Forging Advances in Sustainable Architecture and Urbanism, (Editors), Grierson, D. & Salama, A. M. 1 Dec 2016 In : Open House International. 41, 4, p. 1 - 110 110 p.
- Unfinished Business at the Urban Laboratory: Paolo Soleri, Arcology, and Arcosanti, Grierson, D. 1 Dec 2016 In : Open House International. 41, 4, p. 63-72 10 p
- Towards the Development of a Space/Nature syntax at Arcosanti, Munro, K. & Grierson, D. 1 Dec 2016 In : Open House International. 41, 4, p. 48-55 13 p.
- Linking Space and Nature Syntaxes: the Influence of a Natural View through Observed Behaviour at Arcosanti, Arizona, USA, Munro, K. & Grierson, D. 11 Nov 2016 Handbook of Theory and Practice of Sustainable Development in Higher Education. Leal Filho, W., Brandli, L., Castro, P. & Newman, J. (eds.). Cham, Switzerland: Springer International Publishing AG, Vol. 1, p. 137-158 22 p. (World Sustainability Series)
- A Contextual Framework for the Development of a Building Sustainability Assessment Method for Iran, Malek, S. & Grierson, D. 15 Jul 2016 In : Open House International. 41, 2, p. 64-75 12 p.
- An Expedition into Architecture and Urbanism of the Global South, Salama, A. M. & Grierson, D. 15 Jul 2016 In : Open House International. 41, 2, p. 4-5 2 p.
- Transformations in Architecture and Urbanism of Cities in the Global South, Salama, A. M. (ed.) & Grierson, D. (ed.) 15 Jul 2016 In : Open House International. 41, 2, p. 1-101 102 p.
- 10 out of 10 for Scottish school design? Providing an accessible, sustainable environment for 21st century education./ Hyland, Claire; Grierson, David; Sadler, Sue; Asgari, Zeynab. Architecture Anthology I: Education, Research, and Practice. ed. / Judith Urbano. Vol. 1 1. ed. Athens, Greece : ATINER, 2015. p. 27-40. Research output: Chapter in Book
- RE-thinking urban life?. Grierson, David. 11 December 2014 at 'Re-Thinking Residential Environments: Environment and Design Congress', Bahcesehir University, Istanbul, Turkey, Turkey. Research output: Keynote Contribution to Conference
- Technology and Ecology, Grierson, D. 2014. Transitions to Sustainability: Theoretical Debates for a Changing Planet. Humphreys, D. & Stober, S. (eds.). 1 ed. Champaign, Illinois, USA: Common Ground Publishing, Vol. 1, p. 105 118 p. Chapter 8 Research output: Chapter in Book
- The Environmental Performance of Low Carbon Dwellings Using Structural Insulated Concrete Blocks, Grierson, D., Bradley, C., Duff, A. & Macdonald, M. 28 Feb2013 In : CIC Start Online Innovation Review. 13 p. Research output: Contribution to journal › Article
- Playing Games With Sustainability in Glasgow, Grierson, D. , Hyland, C. , Sadler, S. & Rogerson, R. 29-Jun-2012 In: Proceedings of the International Association People Environment Studies (IAPS) . International Association of People-Environment Studies Research output: Conference proceeding
- Designing Out the Urban Heat Island Effect, Grierson, D. & Munro, K. E. Sep-2012, In : CIC Start Online Innovation Review. Issue 12, September 2012, pp 42-50. Research output: Contribution to journal › Article
- Learning lessons from the Scottish School Building Programme: providing an accessible, sustainable environment for 21st century education, Grierson, D. & Hyland, C. Contribution to 8th International Sustainability Conference, 10-12 January 2012, University of British Columbia, Canada› Paper
- Circular Economy Game and Walking Tour, Grierson, D. , Hyland, C. , Sadler, S. & Rogerson, R. 1-Jun-2012 Research output: Contribution to conference › Speech at International Association People Environment Studies (IAPS) .
- Towards Sustainable Building Design, Grierson, D. 17-Aug-2011 Sustainable Research by Designers. Graham, L. (ed.). University of Illinois, Champaign, USA : Common Ground Publisher: On Design Series (On Design). Research output: Chapter in Book
- Learning for Change: cross-disciplinary postgraduate programmes in sustainability, Grierson, D. & Hyland, C. 7-Sep- 2011 In : International Journal of Environmental, Cultural, Economic and Social Sustainability. 7, 3, p. 37-50. 14 p. Research output: Paper in International Journal
- Architectural Design Principles and Processes for Sustainability: towards a typology of sustainable building design, Grierson, D. & Moultrie, C. M. 17-Aug-2011 In : Design Principles and Practices. p. 623 - 634. 12 p. Research output: Paper in International Journal
- KLABS: Creating Knowledge Labs for Sustainable and Resilient Environments (October 2015 - October 2018) European Commission Funding, £37, 202. Co-investigator: D. Grierson
- Sustainable Design and the Impact of Small Scale Renewable Energy Intervention in Rural West Africa (October 2014 – September 2018) EPSRC Doctoral Funding, £49,900. Principal Investigator: D Grierson
- Participatory Design and its Role in Sustainable Development: Rethinking Technologies for Healthcare and Water Infrastructure in the Developing World (February 2014 - September 2018) EPSRC Doctoral Funding, £49,900. Principal Investigator: D Grierson
- Analysing and Testing the Architectural & Ecological Model Developed at Arcosanti, Arizona, USA (October 2013 - September 2017) EPSRC, Cosanti Foundation, Doctoral Funding £57,900. Principal Investigator: D Grierson
- Mainstreaming Innovation (September 2012) ERDF, SFC, and Scottish Government, £236,633 Consortia Project with nine HEIs: Principal Investigator at Strathclyde: D Grierson
- Online CPD for Design Professionals (June 2012) SFC Knowledge Exchange Development Fund, £20,507. Principal Investigators: H Grierson, D Grierson. Co-investigator: K Munro
- Evaluation of Intelligent Homes Prototype (February 2012) Scottish Enterprise, £3,000 Principal Investigator: D Grierson. Co-investigators: A Duff, M Macdonald
- Benefit Analysis of Edge Fall Prevention System for Roof Profiles (February 2011) ERDF, Scottish Government, £14,850. Principal Investigator: D Grierson. Co-Investigators: S Grant, K Munro, B Ion, S Termansen
- Promoting Inclusive Education through the Built Environment (October 2010) University of Strathclyde Doctoral Award, £46,800. Principal Investigator: D Grierson.
- CIC Start Online (September 2009 - September 2012) ERDF, SFC, and Scottish Government, £1,110, 365. Consortia Project with seven HEIs: Principal Investigator at Strathclyde: D Grierson
- Development of Online Modules in Entrepreneurship (October 2009) RCUK, £15000. Principal Investigator: D Grierson.
- Project Gateway to the Professions: Urban Design Skills (October 2008) Royal Town Planning Institute £23,000. Co-investigator: D. Grierson
- Strathclyde Masters Programme in Sustainability (January 2009) EPSRC, £39,000. Principal Investigator: D Grierson
- Sustainable Engineering EPSRC Studentships (October 2008) EPSRC Collaborative Training Studentships, £30,000. Principal Investigator: D Grierson
- Gartcosh Steel Mill Regeneration Project (November, 2007) Scottish Enterprise Lanarkshire, £38,750. Principal Investigator: D Grierson
- Sustainable Engineering EPSRC Studentships (October 2007) EPSRC Collaborative Training Studentships, £63,000. Principal Investigator: D Grierson
- Visiting Professor in Engineering for Sustainable Development (October 2007 - September 2009) Royal Academy of Engineering, £27,000. Principal Investigator: D Grierson
- Sustainable Engineering EPSRC Studentships (October 2006) EPSRC Collaborative Training Studentships, £85,000. Principal Investigator: D Grierson
- Succeeding for the Workplace (Developing Generic Skills Workshops for Postgraduates) (October 2005) RCUK (Roberts), £35,000. Principal Investigator: D Grierson
- Sustainable Engineering EPSRC Studentships (October 2005) EPSRC Collaborative Training Studentships, £98,000. Principal Investigator: D Grierson
- Online CPD for the Construction Industry(September, 2005) SHEFC CPD Development Fund, £20,000. Co-investigator: D Grierson
- Sustainable Design: Community Heating, CHP, and SUDS at Hillhead, Kirkintilloch, Scotland (June, 2005) Energy Savings Trust, £5,000. Principal Investigator: D Grierson
- Rationalising Postgraduate Provision across the Faculty of Engineering (October, 2004) EPSRC Collaborative Training Account, £42,000. Principal Investigator: D Grierson