I am Reader in Architecture and have been Deputy Head of the department since 2011. As the department's lead on international activity since 2014 I have worked with colleagues to establish collaborative agreement with institutions in East Asia (China and Inner Mongolia), South Asia (India and Hong Kong), Southeast Asia (Malaysia), the Middle East (Qatar and Kuwait), the USA (Arizona), and led the Faculty's first overseas engagement visit to the Middle East (to UAE, Qatar). I am pleased to say that the number of students from overseas now studying Architecture annually at Strathclyde has doubled in the past 5 years, and I believe our international academic profile has never been higher. In directing the ground breaking Faculty-wide postgraduate programme in Sustainable Engineering over the past fifteen years it has been a privilege for me to see well over a thousand students from our integrated engineering and architecture courses successfully graduate and advance their careers in industry and practice. On a more personal note I was honoured to be appointed as the first ever visiting professor at Arcosanti in Arizona, USA in 2013, subsequently launching a new MSc in Architecture and Ecology there, and then joining the Steering Committee of the Cosanti Foundation to guide the strategic development of Arcosanti in the years ahead. I currently lead the CRiDS research cluster at Strathclyde towards resilient and sustainable responses to social, environmental, and economic challenges associated with buildings and cities, in both developed and developing countries. My own research contributions, that aim to support design decision-making for a more balanced relationship between the built & natural environments and develop innovative teaching methods for sustainable development, have led to the supervision of more than 30 postgraduate researchers over the past ten years and around 70 peer-reviewed publications in these areas.
- An Application of Measuring Visual and Non-Visual Sensorial Experiences of Nature for Children within Primary Schools Spaces: Child-Nature-Distance Studies in Glasgow, Scotland Phuong, T. T. & Grierson, D. 31 Oct 2019 In: ArchNet-IJAR: International Journal of Architectural Research, DOI: 10.1108/ARCH-052019-019
- Urban Performance Between the Imagined, the Measured, and the Experienced Salama, A.M. & Grierson, D., 1 Apr 2019 In: Open House International. Editorial 44, 1, 4-7
- Walking to Occupational Activities within Three Neighbourhoods in Basra City Grierson, D. & Al-Saraify, Q.Z. K., 1 Apr 2019 In : Open House International. 44, 1, 26 p.
- Nature, People, and Place: informing the design of urban environments in harmony with Nature through the Space/Nature Syntax Grierson, D. & Munro, K. 1 Jan 2018 In : Lifelong Learning and Education in Healthy and Sustainable Cities. Azeiteiro, UM., Akerman, M., Leal Filho, W., Setti, AFF. & Brandli, LL. (eds.). 1 ed. Cham: Springer International Publishing AG, Vol. 16, p. 105-125 21 p. (World Sustainability Series; vol. 16, no. 1)
- Transformative Learning Methods in Interdisciplinary Postgraduate Education for Sustainable Development (ESD) Grierson, D. & Munro, K. 31 March 2018 In : ArchNet-IJAR: International Journal of Architectural Research. p. 1 - 21 21 p. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.26687/archnet-ijar.v12i1.1430
- Sustainable Development of the Built Environment: response to contradiction through the circular economy and designing out waste in the construction industry Grierson, D., 3 Mar 2017 Kenote Address Launching Zero Waste Scotland's guide for Architects and Designers - Technology and Innovation Centre, University of Strathclyde, Glasgow
- Forging Advances in Sustainable Architecture and Urbanism, Editorial, (Editors) Grierson, D. & Salama, A. M. 1 Dec 2016 In : Open House International. 41, 4, p. 4 - 6 2 p.
- Journal Special Issue: Forging Advances in Sustainable Architecture and Urbanism, (Editors), Grierson, D. & Salama, A. M. 1 Dec 2016 In : Open House International. 41, 4, p. 1 - 110 110 p.
- Unfinished Business at the Urban Laboratory: Paolo Soleri, Arcology, and Arcosanti, Grierson, D. 1 Dec 2016 In : Open House International. 41, 4, p. 63-72 10 p
- Towards the Development of a Space/Nature syntax at Arcosanti, Munro, K. & Grierson, D. 1 Dec 2016 In : Open House International. 41, 4, p. 48-55 13 p.
- Linking Space and Nature Syntaxes: the Influence of a Natural View through Observed Behaviour at Arcosanti, Arizona, USA, Munro, K. & Grierson, D. 11 Nov 2016 Handbook of Theory and Practice of Sustainable Development in Higher Education. Leal Filho, W., Brandli, L., Castro, P. & Newman, J. (eds.). Cham, Switzerland: Springer International Publishing AG, Vol. 1, p. 137-158 22 p. (World Sustainability Series)
- A Contextual Framework for the Development of a Building Sustainability Assessment Method for Iran, Malek, S. & Grierson, D. 15 Jul 2016 In : Open House International. 41, 2, p. 64-75 12 p.
- An Expedition into Architecture and Urbanism of the Global South, Salama, A. M. & Grierson, D. 15 Jul 2016 In : Open House International. 41, 2, p. 4-5 2 p.
- Transformations in Architecture and Urbanism of Cities in the Global South, Salama, A. M. (ed.) & Grierson, D. (ed.) 15 Jul 2016 In : Open House International. 41, 2, p. 1-101 102 p.
- 10 out of 10 for Scottish school design? Providing an accessible, sustainable environment for 21st century education./ Hyland, Claire; Grierson, David; Sadler, Sue; Asgari, Zeynab. Architecture Anthology I: Education, Research, and Practice. ed. / Judith Urbano. Vol. 1 1. ed. Athens, Greece : ATINER, 2015. p. 27-40. Research output: Chapter in Book
- RE-thinking urban life?. Grierson, David. 11 December 2014 at 'Re-Thinking Residential Environments: Environment and Design Congress', Bahcesehir University, Istanbul, Turkey, Turkey. Research output: Keynote Contribution to Conference
- Technology and Ecology, Grierson, D. 2014. Transitions to Sustainability: Theoretical Debates for a Changing Planet. Humphreys, D. & Stober, S. (eds.). 1 ed. Champaign, Illinois, USA: Common Ground Publishing, Vol. 1, p. 105 118 p. Chapter 8 Research output: Chapter in Book
- The Environmental Performance of Low Carbon Dwellings Using Structural Insulated Concrete Blocks, Grierson, D., Bradley, C., Duff, A. & Macdonald, M. 28 Feb2013 In : CIC Start Online Innovation Review. 13 p. Research output: Contribution to journal › Article
- Playing Games With Sustainability in Glasgow, Grierson, D. , Hyland, C. , Sadler, S. & Rogerson, R. 29-Jun-2012 In: Proceedings of the International Association People Environment Studies (IAPS) . International Association of People-Environment Studies Research output: Conference proceeding
- Designing Out the Urban Heat Island Effect, Grierson, D. & Munro, K. E. Sep-2012, In : CIC Start Online Innovation Review. Issue 12, September 2012, pp 42-50. Research output: Contribution to journal › Article
- Learning lessons from the Scottish School Building Programme: providing an accessible, sustainable environment for 21st century education, Grierson, D. & Hyland, C. Contribution to 8th International Sustainability Conference, 10-12 January 2012, University of British Columbia, Canada› Paper
- Circular Economy Game and Walking Tour, Grierson, D. , Hyland, C. , Sadler, S. & Rogerson, R. 1-Jun-2012 Research output: Contribution to conference › Speech at International Association People Environment Studies (IAPS) .
- Learning for Change: cross-disciplinary postgraduate programmes in sustainability, Grierson, D. & Hyland, C. 7-Sep- 2011 In : International Journal of Environmental, Cultural, Economic and Social Sustainability. 7, 3, p. 37-50. 14 p. Research output: Paper in International Journal
- Architectural Design Principles and Processes for Sustainability: towards a typology of sustainable building design, Grierson, D. & Moultrie, C. M. 17-Aug-2011 In : Design Principles and Practices. p. 623 - 634. 12 p. Research output: Paper in International Journal
- Towards Sustainable Building Design, Grierson, D. 2009, Design Principles and Practices: an international journal: Common Ground Publisher: 3, 3 (On Design). Research output: Chapter in Book
International Teaching Profile:
David's academic activity spans over 30 years. In addition to the delivery of courses in the UK and mainland Europe (Italy, Belgium, Czech Republic) this includes invited teaching contributions on architecture and urban design in the United States, Guatemala, Qatar, Turkey, Malaysia, Hong Kong, and China. His teaching emphasizes research-based transformative learning methods, utilising digital technologies, within interdisciplinary education for sustainable development. His aim is to help accommodate the evolving concept of sustainability using a variety of pedagogical techniques that promote participatory learning and thinking skills. Some examples of international teaching contributions are:
- MSc in Architecture and Ecology. Arcosanti, Arizona, USA
- Ecology, Biophilia, and Cities of Tomorrow. Taylor's University, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
- Ecology, Biophila, and Sustainable Architecture. Victoria Shanghai Academy, Kowloon, Hong Kong
- Sustainability and Ecology. Hamad Bin Khalifa University, Doha, Qatar
- Didactical Activities using Contemporary Learning Methodologies and Materials: MSc Sustainable Engineering, Venice Biennale, Venice, Italy
- Re-Thinking Urban Life. Bahcesehir University and Yildiz Technical University, Istanbul, Turkey
- How Do We Begin Again? University of San Carlos, Guatemala City, Guatemala
Teaching Roles and Activities:
- Head of the Graduate School of Engineering (2012 - 2018)
- Programme Director of Faculty Postgraduate Programme in Sustainable Engineering (2004 - present). Over 1,000 postgraduate students from architecture and engineering have graduated from the programme since 2004
- Lead Academic on Succceeding for the Workplace: postgraduate skills training (2005 - 2008)
- Course Director MSc Architecture and Ecology (2015 - present)
- PG Sustainability module leader (2004 - present)
- Pg Arcology module leader (2015 - present)
- PG Group Project Supervision
- Masters Thesis Supervision
- UG Ecology, Sustainability and the Built Environment leader (2004 - present)
- UG Dissertation Supervision
Primary PhD Supervision topics have included:
- Participatory Design and its role in Sustainable Development
- Sustainable Design and the Impact of Small Scale Renewable Energy Interventions in Rural West Africa
- Sustainable Development Policies, the Problem of Housing Collapse in Iran
- Walking to Occupational Activities in Basra City: developing and testing an ecological model to support evidence-based feedback in neighbourhood planning
- The Development of a Sustainable Building Management System for Iran
- Towards Space-Nature-Syntax: the influence of spatial configuration and a view of Nature on social interaction, with Arcosanti, Arizona, USA, as case study
- Education for Sustainable Development (ESD)
- Optimizing Regenerative Design for Sustainability
- The Sensibility of Material Culture and Structural Performance
- The Relationship between the Physical Environment and Human Behaviour
Contribution to Reports on Education for Sustainable Development:
David's research interests and experience extend from his doctoral work in Ecology, Sustainability and the City completed in 2000. His early work on ecological approaches to environmental sustainability has led to research activity in Asia, Africa, North America and Europe involving architecture, urbanism, sustainable development of the built environment, education for sustainable development, design for sustainability, and more recently, biophilia and space nature syntax methods. Awards and funding secured and managed on projects related to these topics totals over £1M since 2005.
- The Nepal School Project (Feb 2018 - ). Principal Investigator with Strathclyde Engineering for Development.
- Designing Out Construction Waste: guidance and pilot support (Oct 2017 - Jan 2018) Zero Waste Scotland. Principal Investigator with Ricardo Energy and Environment.
- BC-SDBE: Building Capacity: Sustainable Development of the Built Environment: British Council Newton Institutional Links Project (Oct 2016 - Oct 2018) British Council. Co-I.
- KLABS: Creating Knowledge Labs for Sustainable and Resilient Environments (Oct 2015 - Oct 2018) European Commission Funding. Co-I.
- Sustainable Design and the Impact of Small Scale Renewable Energy Intervention in Rural West Africa (Oct 2014 – Sep 2018) EPSRC Doctoral Funding. Principal Investigator.
- Participatory Design and its Role in Sustainable Development: Rethinking Technologies for Healthcare and Water Infrastructure in the Developing World (Feb 2014 - Sep 2018) EPSRC Doctoral Funding. Principal Investigator.
- Analysing and Testing the Architectural & Ecological Model Developed at Arcosanti, Arizona, USA (Oct 2013 - Sep 2017) EPSRC, Cosanti Foundation, Doctoral Funding. Principal Investigator.
- Mainstreaming Innovation (Sep 2012 – Sep 2013) ERDF, SFC, and Scottish Government. Consortia Project with nine HEIs: Principal Investigator at Strathclyde.
- Online CPD for Design Professionals (Jun 2012 – Jun 2013) SFC Knowledge Exchange Development Fund. Principal Investigator.
- Evaluation of Intelligent Homes Prototype (Feb 2012 – Oct 2012) Scottish Enterprise. Principal Investigator.
- Benefit Analysis of Edge Fall Prevention System (Feb 2011 – Feb 2012) ERDF, Scottish Government. Principal Investigator with Roof Profiles Ltd.
- Promoting Inclusive Education through the Built Environment (Oct 2010 – Oct 2013) University of Strathclyde Doctoral Award. Principal Investigator.
- CIC Start Online (Sept 2009 - Sept 2012) ERDF, SFC, and Scottish Government. Consortia Project with seven HEIs: Principal Investigator at Strathclyde.
- Development of Online Modules in Entrepreneurship (Oct 2009 – Oct 2010) RCUK. Principal Investigator.
- Project Gateway to the Professions: Urban Design Skills (Oct 2008 - 2009) Royal Town Planning Institute. Co-I.
- Strathclyde Masters Programme in Sustainability (Jan 2009 – Jan 2010) EPSRC. Principal Investigator.
- Sustainable Engineering EPSRC Studentships (Oct 2008 – Oct 2009) EPSRC. Principal Investigator.
- Gartcosh Steel Mill Regeneration Project (Nov, 2007) Scottish Enterprise Lanarkshire. Principal Investigator.
- Sustainable Engineering EPSRC Studentships (Oct 2007 – Oct 2008) EPSRC. Principal Investigator.
- Visiting Professor in Engineering for Sustainable Development (Oct 2007 - Sep 2009) Royal Academy of Engineering. Principal Investigator.
- Sustainable Engineering EPSRC Studentships (Oct 2006 – Oct 2007) EPSRC. Principal Investigator.
- Succeeding for the Workplace (Developing Generic Skills Workshops for Postgraduates) (Oct 2005) RCUK (Roberts). Principal Investigator.
- Sustainable Engineering EPSRC Studentships (Oct 2005 – Oct 2006) EPSRC. Principal Investigator.
- Online CPD for the Construction Industry (Sep 2005 – Sep 2006) SHEFC CPD Development Fund. Co-I.
- Sustainable Design: Community Heating, CHP, and SUDS at Kirkintilloch, Scotland (Jun 2005 – Jun 2006) Energy Savings Trust. Principal Investigator with Hillhead Housing Association.
- Rationalising Postgraduate Provision across the Faculty of Engineering (Oct 2004 – Oct 2005) EPSRC. Principal Investigator.
- Zero Carbon and the Built Environment
- Participation in Hong Kong English Schools Foundation University Fair 2020
- Participation in Hong Kong British Council Study UK Fair 2020
- Renaissance College
- Visiting researcher
- Victoria Shanghai Academy
- Visiting researcher
- King George V School
- Visiting researcher
More professional activities
- KA107 staff and PhD students mobility with the University of Belgrade, Serbia
- Dimitrijevic, Branka (Principal Investigator) Salama, Ashraf (Co-investigator) Grierson, David (Co-investigator)
- 3 academics and 2 PhD students involved in mobility activities
- 01-Jan-2018 - 31-Jan-2020
- Sustainable Development for Ecotourism.
- Grierson, David (Principal Investigator) Salama, Ashraf (Principal Investigator)
- 01-Jan-2018 - 01-Jan-2021
- Development of the Space/Nature Syntax Method
- Grierson, David (Principal Investigator) Munro, Karen (Researcher)
- 01-Jan-2017 - 30-Jan-2019
- Zero Waste Scotland Circular Economy Investment Fund Project
- Grierson, David (Principal Investigator) Dimitrijevic, Branka (Co-investigator)
- 01-Jan-2017 - 01-Jan-2019
- Sustainable Design and the Impact of Small Scale Renewable Energy Intervention in Rural West Africa
- Grierson, David (Principal Investigator)
- 01-Jan-2014 - 28-Jan-2018
- Participatory Design and its Role in Sustainable Development: Rethinking Technologies for Healthcare and Water Infrastructure in the Developing World
- Grierson, David (Principal Investigator)
- 01-Jan-2014 - 28-Jan-2018
James Weir Building
View University of Strathclyde in a larger map