I joined Strathclyde in 2004 after some years in London.
I have two main themes in my research activity. The first of these concerns the relationships between organisations and consumers and how they learn about each other as these relationships are initiated, developed and maintained - but also how and why they end. These are issues that concern all of us. It is far more likely than not that you will be transferring vast amounts of personal information to private enterprises via your 'loyalty cards' and/or your social media activities. A recent focus in my research has been to try and draw connections between concepts and theory in relationally based marketing and elements of human resource management - to better comprehend the humans in these relationships inside and outside the organisation.
The second theme is research into the who, what, how and why of business education with a particular focus on marketing. I recently completed a nationwide project with the support of the Higher Education Academy on current undergraduate teaching provision at British universities.
If my name is familiar to you, it is most likely as one of the names from the cover of our best-selling textbook - 'Marketing: An Introduction'. The third edition of this will appear in Spring 2015.
I am the class leader for MK111: Introduction to Marketing. This is the introductory class in marketing taken by a very high proportion of students in their first year at Strathclyde Business School. Given the size of the class, about one in eight of all undergraduate students at the institution are either in that class or have been in previous years.
I also make teaching contributions on more specialised subjects - especially digital marketing and social media - on both undergraduate and postgraduate classes.
- External Examiner - University of Hertfordshire
- External Examiner
- Marketing Intelligence and Planning (Journal)
- External Examiner - UG Marketing Component- Nottingham Trent University
- External Examiner
- Academy of Marketing Conference
more professional activities
- Postgraduate Research Methods Training for Marketing
- Harker, Michael (Co-investigator) Wilson, Juliette (Principal Investigator) Murdy, Samantha (Principal Investigator)
- This project is examining the past and present of research methods training for postgraduate research students in marketing in respect of historical and current trends and provision of training within doctoral programmes.
- Period 07-Jul-2017 - 16-Nov-2018
- External Examining for Marketing
- Harker, Michael (Principal Investigator) Murdy, Samantha (Co-investigator) Wilson, Juliette (Co-investigator)
- This project is collecting and disseminating views on the processes and practices of programme external examination for marketing programmes at UK institutions.
- Period 14-Jul-2017 - 16-Nov-2018
- Undergraduate Marketing Education in the UK
- Harker, Michael (Principal Investigator)
- Period 07-Jan-2013 - 31-Dec-2013