I am Course Leader on the LLM/MSc in Mediation and Conflict Resolution, running at Strathclyde Law School since 2009. I am a practising mediator and Director of University of Strathclyde Mediation Clinic, providing small claims mediation at Glasgow Sheriff Court. My research focuses on mediation in the justice system and the role of emotion in conflict. I am currently conducting doctoral research at Queen Margaret University, considering unrepresented people's experience of mediation under Simple Procedure. I am a regular contributor to the Kluwer Mediation Blog.
- Justice in Mediation
- Looking Outward - Mediation: a New Enlightenment?
- Mediation Under Simple Procedure: One Year On
- Mediation v Litigation: Where's Justice
- Mediate Scotland 2017
- International Symposium on ADR and Justice
more professional activities
- Training for sheriffs in using mediation
- Irvine, Charlie (Principal Investigator)
- Training provided for the Judicial Institute for Scotland on the effective use of mediation in court actions. This was triggered by the new Simple Procedure rules, brought in by the Act of Sederunt (Simple Procedure) 2016, which require sheriffs to ensure that proper consideration is given to alternative dispute resolution in civil claims of up to £5,000
- 01-Jan-2016 - 01-Jan-2017