Dr Yashar Javadi is a Strathclyde Chancellor’s Fellow (Lecturer as part of Strathclyde Global Talent Programme) at the University of Strathclyde. His multidisciplinary works have been reflected in his appointment which is a joint appointment between two departments (EEE and DMEM). He is currently Guest Editor of "Welding and Additive Manufacturing for Industry 4.0", a special issue of "Journal of Manufacturing and Material Processing", and also in the Topic Board of that journal. He is also editor of Special Issue "Robotic Non-Destructive Testing" in Sensors.
In a career spanning over 16 years in the field of engineering (particular focus on welding, non-destructive evaluation, additive manufacturing and robotics), he has worked as a lecturer and postdoctoral research associate (at The University of Manchester and the University of Strathclyde) in the academia and also a manager of the welding/NDT department and welding engineer in the industry. He has published >40 journal papers with >1000 citations in total, including two papers with >100 citations.
Currently, he is a member of Centre for Ultrasonic Engineering (CUE) where his research focus is on the in-process inspection and residual stress measurement (non-destructive methods) in the welding and Wire + Arc Additive Manufacturing (WAAM). Some part of his current research outputs is reflected in two WAAM/NDT papers published in Insight (2018) and Additive Manufacturing (2019) journals plus two Welding/NDT papers recently published (2020) in Materials & Design (in-process calibration) and Journal of Manufacturing Processes (residual stress).
* Open PhD positions (please email me for details):
1) In-process calibration of a robotic NDE system used for high-temperature in-process inspection
2) In-process Material Evaluation of Welding and Additive Manufacturing
3) Non-destructive Evaluation of Residual Stress
- SCDT proposal development
- Developments of in-process NDE techniques for Wire + Arc Additive Manufacture at University of Strathclyde
- Sensor Enabled Automation
- BTG Workshop - Net-Zero
- IEEE international ultrasound symposium (IUS) 2019
More professional activities
- Investigating the effect of residual stress on hydrogen cracking in multi-pass robotic welding and additive manufacturing
- Javadi, Yashar (Principal Investigator) MacLeod, Charles Norman (Co-investigator) Alipooramirabad, Houman (Co-investigator)
- The aim of this project is the development of a round-robin Residual Stress (RS) measurement to investigate the effect of the RS on hydrogen cracking. Dr Javadi (PI) is leading the RS area in the Center for Ultrasonic Engineering (CUE) and he has been a Keynote Speaker at the 11th International Conference on Residual Stress (ICRS 11) where he presented his novel idea on RS measurement using the Phased Array Ultrasonic Testing (PAUT) method . This method will also be used to study the effect of RS on hydrogen cracking. In this Strathclyde-ANSTO collaboration, ANSTO will conduct the Neutron Diffraction (ND) to form the round-robin RS measurement project.
 Y. Javadi et al., "Feasibility study of residual stress measurement using phased array ultrasonic method," presented at the 11th International Conference on Residual Stress, Nancy, France, 27-30 March, 2022.
- 21-Jan-2023 - 20-Jan-2023
- Doctoral Training Partnership 2020-2021 University of Strathclyde | Pourrahimian Leilabadi, Parinaz
- Javadi, Yashar (Principal Investigator) Mehnen, Jorn (Co-investigator) Pourrahimian Leilabadi, Parinaz (Research Co-investigator)
- 01-Jan-2022 - 01-Jan-2025
- Robotic Ultrasonic System for In-situ Residual Stress Measurement in Metal Additive Manufacturing
- Walker, Joseph (Post Grad Student) Javadi, Yashar (Principal Investigator) Heidari, Hadi (Co-investigator) Rahimi, Salaheddin (Co-investigator)
- Residual Stress (RS) in engineering components yields unexpected and dangerous structural failures, and thus represents a significant challenge to quality assurance in both welding and metal Additive Manufacturing (AM) processes. As automation in welding and AM becomes increasingly prevalent in the Industry 4.0 manufacturing paradigm, so the importance of quantifying RS will grow. In this PhD project, a novel robotic ultrasonic approach to measuring such RS, in-situ, will be developed using the Phased Array Ultrasonic Testing (PAUT) system, to automate the deployment of the measurement in manufacturing applications. For the first time, it will allow truly in-situ measurements of RS to be undertaken at the elevated temperatures associated with welding and metal AM manufacture. The ambition is to use this in-situ measurement system for safety-critical and Industry 4.0 applications, through 5G wireless integration of the robotic system, where the conventional manual and destructive methods of RS measurement are not applicable for high throughput and automated production lines.
- 01-Jan-2022 - 30-Jan-2026
- Impact Acceleration Account (IAA) - Bridging the Gaps (BTG) – Net Zero / Circular Economy
- Javadi, Yashar (Principal Investigator) Lotfian, Saeid (Co-investigator) MacLeod, Charles Norman (Co-investigator) Mehmanparast, Ali (Co-investigator) Pierce, Gareth (Co-investigator) Brennan, Feargal (Co-investigator) Gachagan, Anthony (Co-investigator)
- In-situ Robotic and Ultrasonic Stress Measurement for Predictive Maintenance of Offshore Wind Bolted Flange Connections
- 01-Jan-2022 - 01-Jan-2023
- Ultrasound and Eddy Currents Sensor data Fusion for Welding and Additive manufacturing
- Mohseni, Ehsan (Principal Investigator) Javadi, Yashar (Co-investigator) MacLeod, Charles Norman (Co-investigator) Pierce, Gareth (Co-investigator) Wathavana Vithanage, Randika Kosala (Co-investigator)
- 01-Jan-2022 - 31-Jan-2023
- Impact Acceleration Account (IAA) - New Organisation Engagement
- Mohseni, Ehsan (Principal Investigator) MacLeod, Charles Norman (Principal Investigator) Pierce, Gareth (Principal Investigator) Javadi, Yashar (Principal Investigator) Wathavana Vithanage, Randika Kosala (Principal Investigator)
- Non-destructive evaluation
and process optimization for inspection complex components
- 15-Jan-2022 - 15-Jan-2023
Electronic and Electrical Engineering
Technology Innovation Centre
Technology Innovation Centre
University of Strathclyde
in a larger map