I am a statistician, with a 5-year chancellor’s fellowship award, collaborating with researchers, clinicians, epidemiologists and consultants in the NHS and international partners on data driven solutions to problems in public health and epidemiology. My work has helped to shape public health policy, in particular my work evaluating the impact of the HPV vaccination has provided the evidence base for vaccine and cervical screening policy in Scotland and contributed to the international evidence base.
In light of this research, I was awarded the 2018 Royal Society of Edinburgh Sir Thomas Makdougall Brisbane Medal for recognition of my “outstanding, internationally renowned research in public health epidemiology and health informatics”.
My publications span the fields of statistics, informatics, medicine and epidemiology with publications in top-ranking journals such as Lancet Infectious Diseases and the BMJ. My statistical expertise lies in the analysis and modelling of large observational health datasets with research interest in the fields of public health epidemiology, pharmacoepidemiology and digital health.
With my research expertise, highly cited articles and high impact publications, and growing research group, I am collaborating with colleagues to create an internationally renowned centre in statistical epidemiology and health informatics, spanning the departments of Mathematics and Statistics, Strathclyde Institute of Pharmacy and Biomedical Science and Computer and Information Science.
I am an active contributor to my statistical community, elected to the Council of the Royal Statistical Society in 2014, where I currently hold the post of honorary officer for conferencing and events with responsibility for organisation and strategy of their international conference.
- Royal Statistical Conference 2019
- NHS National Institute for Health Research (External organisation)
- Royal Statistical Society Conference Board (External organisation)
- Royal Statistical Society Conference 2017
- EUROGIN 2016
- Invited speaker
- Royal Statistical Society (External organisation)
More professional activities
- Assessment of cardiovascular diseases risk profile and management in HIV-infected patients in Kenya: A local situation analysis to inform future development of quality improvement interventions
- Kurdi, Amanj (Principal Investigator) ACHIENG, Loice (Principal Investigator) Bennie, Marion (Co-investigator) Godman, Brian (Co-investigator) Kavanagh, Kimberley (Co-investigator) Megiddo, Itamar (Co-investigator)
- 01-Jan-2019 - 31-Jan-2020
- STRAthclyde Diversity in Data LinkagE (STRADDLE) Doctoral Training Centre
- Barry, Sarah (Co-investigator) Kavanagh, Kimberley (Co-investigator) Megiddo, Itamar (Co-investigator) Murray, Paul (Co-investigator) Rattray, Nicholas (Co-investigator)
- The focus of the STRAthclyde Diversity in Data LinkagE (STRADDLE) DTC is to develop a centre of excellence in the linkage and analysis of data across disciplines. With an initial focus on health and healthcare delivery, STRADDLE will deliver linkage and innovative analysis of data from the molecular to population level, to achieve new insights and to maximize the value of health research data. There are 3 fully funded, 3.5 year PhD studentships are available to highly motivated UK and EU students. Successful applicants will be trained as the next generation of data scientists and develop skills and know how to deliver on the integration of diverse clinical data types – from molecules to man to populations.
- 01-Jan-2019 - 31-Jan-2023
- SDTC Digital Health Systems TEC PhD
- Lennon, Marilyn (Principal Investigator) Kavanagh, Kimberley (Co-investigator)
- 01-Jan-2018 - 30-Jan-2021
- Evaluation of Cost of Nosocomial Infection Protocol (ECONI) - Socioeconomic Impact of HAI and modelling for future investment in Infection Prevention and Control measures in NHS Scotland
- Robertson, Chris (Principal Investigator) Kavanagh, Kimberley (Co-investigator)
- 01-Jan-2018 - 31-Jan-2020
- Scottish Healthcare Associated Infection Prevention Institute (SHAIPI) (SIRN Consortium Mark 2) | Tydeman, Florence
- Kavanagh, Kimberley (Principal Investigator) Robertson, Chris (Co-investigator) Tydeman, Florence (Research Co-investigator)
- 01-Jan-2017 - 01-Jan-2021
- Using Data Analytics to optimise perioperative medicine patient care pathways at the Golden Jubilee National Hospital - PhD scholarship, £58,059
- Bouamrane, Matt-Mouley (Principal Investigator) Kavanagh, Kimberley (Co-investigator) Schraag, Stefan (Co-investigator)
- 01-Jan-2017 - 30-Jan-2020
Mathematics and Statistics
View University of Strathclyde in a larger map