I joined the Department of Chemical and Process Engineering at University of Strathclyde as a Lecturer in 2015. My research focuses on turning waste biomass into chemicals, fuels, and energy. My research group have expertise in CFD modelling of reacting flow, such as ignition and flame properties, multiphase interactions, reacting progress, heat transfer, and emissions. We have equipment to conduct experimental studies, at high temperatures and high heating rates, to characterize the solid fuel on its inherent properties, kinetics, and thermal performances.
I received my PhD degree on energy engineering from KTH Royal Institute of Technology, Sweden in 2014. Thereafter, I was working at the University of Glasgow as a postdoctoral researcher. I studied my MSc at the National Engineering Lab for Biomass Power Generation Equipment, based in the North China Electric Power University (Beijing). I am an academic member of International Flame Research Foundation (IFRF) and Combustion Institute (British Section).
CP206: Chemical Engineering Practice 1
CP414: Particle Technology & Advanced Reactors
CP407: Design Project
CP533: Clean Combustion Technologies
- Development of Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) methods of thermal/chemical processes.
- Biomass characterization:fuel properties, kinetics, ignition, thermal conversion behaviour.
- Biomass combustion & co-firing: large percentage biomass substitutions; ash related problems and aerosol formations.
- Second generation biofuels production & upgrading by torrefaction, pyrolysis, gasification, and synthesis.
- Integrated energy systems: biomass and solar system combination; co-processing biomass/bio-oil in oil refinery; advanced clean combustion technologies
- Ash related challenges: release mechanism and kinetics of alkali metals; removal of inherent alkali metals at fuel processing stage.
- ICAE2019: The 11th International Conference on Applied Energy
- National Chung Hsing University
- Visiting researcher
- Modelling the Distribution of Mercury in Oil and Gas Processing Facilities - Manssor Khalifa - ViVa at University of Strathclyde
- Workshop on Agricultural Biomass Waste -Utilisation Routes
- ETP Energy Emporium 2018
- Shilong Zhao
more professional activities
Chemical and Process Engineering
James Weir Building
View University of Strathclyde in a larger map