I completed my first degree in thermal engineering in 2005 at North China Electric Power University in Beijing, China. In between 2005 and 2007, I was a Project Engineer at Taiyuan Boiler Group Co., Ltd, in Shanxi, China. I subsequently, in 2007, moved back to North China Electric Power University for Master’s study based on the National Engineering Lab for Biomass Power Generation Equipment. Then, in June 2010, I moved to Sweden and stared working on my doctoral thesis on energy engineering at KTH Royal Institute of Technology. After awarded a PhD degree in February 2014, I moved to the Systems, Power & Energy Research Division within the School of Engineering at University of Glasgow and worked there as a postdoctoral research assistant. In June 2015, I joined the chemical and process engineering department at University of Stathclyde.
I have been working on energy engineering for 13 years, including 2-year industrial experience working on power generation sectors. I am a specialist on design, retrofit, installation, and operation of pulverized fuel boilers and circulating fluidized bed (CFB) boilers. I have strong CFD and process simulations skills using MATLAB, FORTRAN, ANSYS Fluent, and ASPEN Plus. I am an academic membership of International Flame Research Foundation (IFRF).
Currently taught modules:
- CP533/CP969: Clean Combustion Technologies (Course Coordinator)
- CP949: MSc Individul Project (Course Coordinator)
- CP407: Design Project
Previously taught modules:
- CP206: Chemical Engineering Practice 1 (Course Coordinator)
- CP414: Particle Technology & Advanced Reactors (Course Coordinator)
My research interest is to pioneer cost-effective and innovative ways to decarbonize energy systems, particularly focusing on opening new routes to enabling wider use of waste streams as a sustainable resource to cost-effectively produce energy, fuels, and materials, ultimately towards achieving a low-carbon circular economy. My research interests include the fundamental investigation and understanding of problems associated with the complex interactions of thermo-fluids dynamics, thermochemical processes, heat & mass transports in thermal/chemical processes, predominantly focusing on:
- Clean bioenergy technologies, including clean combustion, gasification, pyrolysis, wet waste-to-energy.
- Production and utilisation of renewable hydrogen/hydrogen-rich syngas for decarbonising industry systems.
- Development/application of advanced computational fluid dynamics modelling of multiphase reacting fluids.
- Development and demonstration of innovative, affordable, reliable, and sustainable energy systems.
- Technoeconomic and environmental assessment of energy/chemical systems.
- 28th Annual SCI-CSCST Conference
- Member of programme committee
- Frontiers in Thermal Engineering (Journal)
- Editorial board member
- Leteng Lin
- Scottish Carbon Capture & Storage (External organisation)
- AIChE 2nd Sustainable Waste Management Conference
- Member of programme committee
- 27th CSCST SCI Annual Conference: Sustainable Energy and Manufacturing the Future
More professional activities
- Doctoral Training Partnership 2020-2021 University of Strathclyde | Sait-Stewart, Robert
- Li, Jun (Principal Investigator) Lue, Leo (Co-investigator) Sait-Stewart, Robert (Research Co-investigator)
- 01-Jan-2021 - 01-Jan-2024
- Mechanisms of tar and char formation during the supercritical water gasification of biomass for hydrogen production
- Li, Jun (Principal Investigator) Lue, Leo (Co-investigator) Carruthers, Andrew (Research Co-investigator)
- Externally Funded PhD Studentship
- 01-Jan-2021 - 31-Jan-2024
- Developing green heterogeneous catalysts for converting waste papaya oilseed into biodiesel
- Li, Jun (Principal Investigator) Zhang, Xiaolei (Co-investigator) Asuquo, Asuquo Jackson (Research Co-investigator)
- PTDF PhD Studentship (£120,000)
- 01-Jan-2020 - 31-Jan-2023
- Sir David Anderson Bequest Award | Monitoring PM formation and predictions during biomass thermal conversions
- Li, Jun (Principal Investigator) Lin, Leteng (Researcher)
- 10-Jan-2020 - 20-Jan-2020
- Catalytic reforming of syngas hydrocarbons to maximise hydrogen production
- Somorin, Tosin (Principal Investigator) Li, Jun (Co-investigator) Mukamwi, Morgen (Research Co-investigator)
- Beit Trust & SEA Co-funded PhD Studentship
- 01-Jan-2019 - 31-Jan-2022
- Investigation of thermal lance combustion in oil and gas wells
- Lue, Leo (Principal Investigator) Li, Jun (Co-investigator)
- 01-Jan-2019 - 31-Jan-2019
Chemical and Process Engineering
James Weir Building
View University of Strathclyde in a larger map