I am a senior lecturer in the School of Social Work and Social Policy. I joined the University after completing a PhD exploring the transition from childhood to adulthood for young people with learning disabilities at the University of Glasgow. Much of my teaching and research interests focus on the area of adult social care, with a particular interest in learning disability and mental health.
I currently hold the role of Course Leader on the BA (Hons) in Social Work and am committed to ensuring our students have an excellent learning and teaching experience during thier four years on the course. I also coordinate the service user and carer network in the School in partnership with colleagues at Glasgow Caledonian University. The network has a remit to influence all aspects of teaching and education across our social work programmes and has involvement in relation to selection, teaching and assessment as well as course monitoring and review.
Has expertise in:
Has expertise in:
- adult social care
- work with people with learning disabilities
- work with people with mental health problems including issues around recovery
- social work education
MA Social Policy and Sociology (First class hons), University of Glasgow, 1999
Doctor of Philosophy, University of Glasgow, 2007
I teach across both of the qualifying social work programmes (the BA (Hons) in Social Work and the Masters in Social Work) as well as on the specialist Postgraduate Certificate in Mental Health Social Work. The bulk of my teaching focuses on adult social care and in particular, issues for people with learning disabilities, those with mental health problems and older adults including those with dementia. I also have an interest in sociology and social policy and in particular working with students to explore the applicability of these disciplines to social work. I co-ordinate and teach the research methods module on the BA programme and contribute to other research teaching across the School.
My research interests lie primarly in the field of adult social care and the bulk of my work involves people with learning disabilities as well as those with mental health problems. I have particular interests in the areas of citizenship, parenthood and transitions for people with learning disabilities and have completed a number of different research projects in these areas. I am also interested in the ways in which different kinds of support (both formal and informal) can enable older adults, people with mental health problems and those with learrning disabilities to maintain their independence.
I also have an interest in evidence based learning and teaching practice within social work and have been involved in a number of programmes that have evaluated social work education including the Department of Health funded evaluation of the social work degree in England and the ESRC funded audit of research teaching across social work programmes in the UK.
I am commited to carrying out inclusive research that has impact both within academia and across policy and practice.
- Why citizenship?
- Recovering Citizenship II: Community, National, and International Perspectives International research: hosted by the International Recovery and Citizenship Council, University of Yale, New Haven.
More professional activities
- Studentship Scottish Recovery Network and See Me
- MacIntyre, Gillian (Principal Investigator)
- 01-Jan-2017 - 30-Jan-2020
- JARA Studentship - Lee Hollins
- Steckley, Laura (Principal Investigator) MacIntyre, Gillian (Co-investigator)
- 01-Jan-2017 - 30-Jan-2022
- Baseline study
- MacIntyre, Gillian (Principal Investigator) Stewart, Ailsa (Co-investigator)
- 05-Jan-2016 - 31-Jan-2016
- Citizenship Measure Project
- Stewart, Ailsa (Principal Investigator) Knifton, Lee (Co-investigator) MacIntyre, Gillian (Co-investigator) Quinn, Neil (Co-investigator)
- 01-Jan-2015 - 30-Jan-2017
- Vulnerable parents with and without a learning disability – long term outcomes for families involved in a parenting skills programme
- Stewart, Ailsa (Principal Investigator) MacIntyre, Gillian (Co-investigator)
- 01-Jan-2015 - 29-Jan-2016
- GE Gillian MacIntyre Yale University
- MacIntyre, Gillian (Academic) Stewart, Ailsa (Academic) Quinn, Neil (Academic) Knifton, Lee (Academic)
- 11-Jan-2014 - 10-Jan-2015
Social Work and Social Policy
Lord Hope Building
View University of Strathclyde in a larger map