Charles MacLeod is a Research Associate in the Centre for Ultrasonic Engineering. After being awarded a Masters in Electrical and Mechanical Engineering with Distinction at Strathclyde, Charles then went on to undertake a PhD in Automated Non – Destructive Evaluation.
While undertaking his PhD Charles, was seconded to Spirit AeroSystems, in Prestwick to undertake Knowledge Exchange activities built on fundamental EPSRC funded research. Through this secondment a combined automated NDE and metrology cell was developed and exploited.
Charles was awarded the prestigious University of Strathclyde EPSRC Doctoral Prize for 2014, for his work investigating automated non-contact ultrasound. This work which is currently on-going has great potential in terms of scanning rates and throughput, therefore offering large reduction in overall production cycle time.
Charles has vast experience in electrical and mechanical engineering areas such as robotics, sensors, electronics, mechanical jigs and software.
His research interests include:
Sensors including Ultrasonic, Electromagnetic, Tactile and Visual
Low noise electronics.
Charles has delivered impact in the form of dissemination, new revenue, commercialisation and product hardware through a number of high profile KE projects. This has been achieved and backed up by fundamental budget and deadline reliability.
Charles regularly assists with the core Instrumentation and Microcontrollers, Lectures, Laboratories and Tutorials. Additionally he is a registered Small Group Tutor for 1st Year students.
- Autonomous Systems Lab, Institute of Robotics & Intelligent Systems, ETH Zurich
- Visiting researcher
- WAAMat Research Day - Automated NDE Keynote
- Organiser for Factory 2050/ KUKA advanced robot programming workshop
- Keynote Talk - Impact In Manufacturing Inspection
- Imperial College PGR EngD Viva Examination - External Examiner
- Faculty Robotics and Automation Users Group Discussion
more professional activities
- DTP 2018-19 University of Strathclyde | Zimermann, Rastislav
- MacLeod, Charles Norman (Principal Investigator) Gachagan, Anthony (Co-investigator) Zimermann, Rastislav (Research Co-investigator)
- 01-Jan-2018 - 01-Jan-2022
- Insptectahire - OGIC
- Dobie, Gordon (Principal Investigator) MacLeod, Charles Norman (Co-investigator)
- 03-Jan-2018 - 30-Jan-2020
- New Wire Additive Manufacture- NEWAM
- Pierce, Gareth (Principal Investigator) Gachagan, Anthony (Co-investigator) MacLeod, Charles Norman (Co-investigator)
- 25-Jan-2018 - 24-Jan-2023
- OGTC Robotics Vessel Inspection
- Dobie, Gordon (Principal Investigator) Gachagan, Anthony (Co-investigator) MacLeod, Charles Norman (Co-investigator) Pierce, Gareth (Co-investigator) Yan, Xiu (Co-investigator) Yang, Erfu (Co-investigator)
- 20-Jan-2018 - 19-Jan-2020
- ANRC 012-01_Ultrasonic Inspection and Monitoring for Challenging Industrial Welding Applications_CORE
- MacLeod, Charles Norman (Principal Investigator)
- 01-Jan-2018 - 30-Jan-2021
- Acoustic Based Characterisation of arc fusion process control parameters
- MacLeod, Charles Norman (Principal Investigator) Dobie, Gordon (Co-investigator) Gachagan, Anthony (Co-investigator) Mulholland, Anthony (Co-investigator) Pierce, Gareth (Co-investigator) Stratoudaki, Theodosia (Co-investigator) Tant, Katherine Margaret Mary (Co-investigator)
- 02-Jan-2018 - 30-Jan-2020
Electronic and Electrical Engineering
Technology Innovation Centre
View University of Strathclyde in a larger map