My research interests include the mathematical modelling of liquid crystals and other non-Newtonian fluids. My main focus at present is the application of static and dynamic continuum theories to models for nematic and cholesteric liquid crystals. Other areas of research include fluid flows in porous media and studies into the design of prosthetic sockets. Generally, I have a keen interest in all aspects of mathematical modelling of real world problems.
Since becoming a Lecturer in the Department of Mathematics (now Mathematics and Statistics) in 1994, and then a Senior Lecturer in 2004, I have been responsible for a large number of classes covering a wide variety of topics and at various different levels. As always, the challenge remains to engage students, highlighting the relevance of mathematics in everyday life and a variety of careers, while also trying to convey techniques that are vital to the knowledge development of any mathematics or engineering student. Currently the classes in which I am involved cover material from Foundation Mathematics to Complex Analysis.
Within my department I have the role of year 3 coordinator, with responsibility for all aspects of the third year of our many degree courses. I have also been the academic supervisor for a significant number of final year undergraduate projects for students in the final year of our Honours degree courses. These projects have focused on topics as varied as The Mechanics of Sport, RSA Codes, Flows in Porous Media, Modelling Liquid Crystals, Phase Transitions, Chaotic Motion and Site Percolation.
Areas of focus in the field of liquid crystals include:
- Dynamic modelling of nematic flows
- Unwinding cholesterics
- Freely suspended smectic films
- Weak anchoring effects
- Bidirectional surface ordering
- Mechanical actions of nanocyclinders on nematic liquid crystals
- Smectic chevron structures
- Orientation of liquid crystals subject to external fields
- Doctoral Training Partnership 2018-19 University of Strathclyde | Allen, Erika
- Mottram, Nigel (Principal Investigator) McKay, Geoffrey (Co-investigator) Allen, Erika (Research Co-investigator)
- 01-Jan-2019 - 01-Jan-2022
- Doctoral Training Partnership (DTP - University of Strathclyde) | Walton, Joshua
- Mottram, Nigel (Principal Investigator) McKay, Geoffrey (Co-investigator) Walton, Joshua (Research Co-investigator)
- Active nematic liquid crystals in confined regions
- 01-Jan-2015 - 01-Jan-2019
Mathematics and Statistics
View University of Strathclyde in a larger map