Area of Expertise
My expertise and capabilities include:
- Classical Molecular Dynamics simulations;
- Long time-scale simulations using saddle-point searches and Temperature Accelerated Dynamics;
- Materials modelling for oxides such as titania, silica, ZnO;
- Theory of nucleation and growth at surfaces (e.g. rate equations, distribution fixed point equations and scaling);
- Monte Carlo simulation
Self-funded PhD projects available:
Optimising the washing and drying of filter cakes: modelling and applications
Protein adsoprtion in gel structures: simulation, experiment and applications
My research interests lie in the domain of materials modelling, including biomolecular interactions with inorganic materials, where a lot of my work is performed in close collaboration with Dr Karina Kubiak-Ossowska from the Department of Physics at Strathclyde. My current funded projects include:
- Designing vaccines to create antibodies that can be used for cancer therapies; Designing new strategies to conjugate antibodies to nanoparticles to create novel diagnostics and therapeutics; Designing heavy-metal adsorbents using chitosan. All of these projects are funded by the BBSRC as part of the IBioIC-CTP.
- Modelling particulate drying processes, relevant to the crucial isolation of pharmaceuticals. This project is funded by an EPSRC iCASE award.
- A NERC-funded project to design compostable bio-composite plastic films for food packaging, as part of the drive to replace oil-derived plastics and reduce land-fill.
- A Knowledge Transfer Partnership project working on the design and automation of an algae production process.
I have extensive collaboration with colleagues through Strathclyde, including Ashleigh Fletcher, Karen Johnston, Jan Sefcik, Chris Price, Yi-Chieh Chen from CPE, and Val Ferro (SIPBS), Michael Grinfeld (Mathematics and Statistics), Olaf Rolinski (Physics). My external research collaborators include Dr Barbara Jachimska at the Jerzy Haber Institute, Cracow, part of the Polish Academy of Science, with whom we exchange PhD students to collaborate on theranostic systems. I also work closely with a number of SMEs including The Antibody Company and Cuantec, as well as large organisations including Astra Zeneca.
Further details of my research can be found in my publications, a full list is available on: http://www.researcherid.com/rid/E-3999-2012