I am a Senior Lecturer at the University of Strathclyde working in the area of image processing and hyperpsectral imahing. I work on a number of research an industrial projects where I apply my image processing skills to address a wide range of challenges in many application areas. My activities range from analysing microscopic biological images to processing images captured during visual inspection of nuclear power plants.
My research interests can be summarised as: signal and image processing, hyperspectral imaging, machine learning, image stitching, object detection and tracking, mathematical morphology and the hit-or-miss-transform.
In general, I am interesting in extending and creating new image processing techniques to adress real world and industrially relevant challenges. For example, the outcomes of my research conducted during my PhD have been used in various biological research labs in the UK and in the USA. More recently, upon completing an intensive two year research project, I delivered the oucomes of my research in the form of novel image stitching software to a leading energy company.
I am teaching Digital Electronics and I also teach image processing as part a Vertically Integrated Project (VIP). VIP is a new initiative in teaching recently adopted at Strathclyde which allows teams of undergraduates to work on state-of-the-art research projects throughout their university career. I have also taught Masters level courses in Image and Video processing as well as looking after a Small Group Tutorial which provides additional academic and general support to first year students to help them adapt to university life.
- AUTOMATED GENERATION OF TRAINING DATASET FOR CRACK DETECTION IN NUCLEAR POWER PLANT COMPONENTS
- Automated tracking of mitochondrial motility using image processing and epifluorescence microscopy
- Environmental Association of Universities and Colleges - Annual Conference 2019
- Invited speaker
More professional activities
- Doctoral Training Partnership 2020-2021 University of Strathclyde | Christopher, Jay
- Bauer, Ralf (Principal Investigator) Murray, Paul (Co-investigator) Christopher, Jay (Research Co-investigator)
- 01-Jan-2020 - 01-Jan-2024
- EngD Fraunhofer Contribution Intelligent and directed laser-based spectroscopy (HW CDT)
- Marshall, Stephen (Principal Investigator) Murray, Paul (Co-investigator)
- 01-Jan-2020 - 31-Jan-2024
- Development of novel, automated analyses for the quantification of cellular and sub-cellular dynamics from fluorescence video-microscopy
- Chalmers, Susan (Principal Investigator) Sandison, Mairi (Co-investigator) Murray, Paul (Co-investigator) Campbell, Andrew John (Co-investigator)
- 01-Jan-2020 - 11-Jan-2021
- ANPERA project
- Murray, Paul (Principal Investigator) Campbell, Andrew John (Co-investigator) Marshall, Stephen (Co-investigator) Ren, Jinchang (Co-investigator)
- 01-Jan-2020 - 30-Jan-2021
- Remote Inspection of SNM cans GC_253
- Murray, Paul (Principal Investigator) MacLeod, Charles Norman (Co-investigator) Marshall, Stephen (Co-investigator) Ren, Jinchang (Co-investigator) Zabalza, Jaime (Co-investigator)
- 01-Jan-2020 - 31-Jan-2020
- Image Processing for Enhanced Visual Inspection of Nuclear Waste Packages GC142 Phase 2
- Murray, Paul (Principal Investigator) Marshall, Stephen (Co-investigator) Ren, Jinchang (Co-investigator) West, Graeme (Co-investigator) Zabalza, Jaime (Research Co-investigator)
- 01-Jan-2020 - 30-Jan-2021
Electronic and Electrical Engineering
Royal College Building
View University of Strathclyde in a larger map