My primary research interests are numerical linear algebra and its application to problems in scientific computing. Most of my work has focused on understanding the convergence behaviour of Krylov subspace methods for solving linear systems, and on developing preconditioners for specific applications. I have also been involved in projects that apply ideas from tropical algebra to problems in numerical linear algebra, such as pre-scaling matrices before solving linear systems. Current projects include developing fast solvers for problems from fractional diffusion, and analysing problems in broadband signal processing.
I have been a lecturer in the Department of Mathematics and Statistics since 2015. Prior to this I held postdoctoral positions at The University of Manchester and the University of Oxford. I obtained my DPhil from the University of Oxford in 2012.
I am a member of SIAM, and am an editor of the SIAM Fundamentals of Algorithms book series. I am also a member of the Edinburgh Mathematical Society, the London Mathematical Society and am a Fellow of the Institute for Mathematics and its Applications.
My personal webpage can be found here.
- 29th Biennial Conference on Numerical Analysis
- SIAM (Publisher)
- Peer reviewer
- 25th Conference of the International Linear Algebra Society
- Member of programme committee
- Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics (SIAM) Committee on Programs (External organisation)
- SIAM SIAG/LA Nominating Committee (External organisation)
- EPSRC Mathematical Sciences Prioritisation Panel February 2020 (Event)
- Peer reviewer
More professional activities
- Maths DTP 2021/22 University of Strathclyde | Podmore, Sam
- Knight, Philip (Principal Investigator) Pestana, Jennifer (Co-investigator) Podmore, Sam (Research Co-investigator)
- 01-Jan-2021 - 01-Jan-2024
- Effective preconditioners for linear systems in fractional diffusion
- Pestana, Jennifer (Principal Investigator)
- 19-Jan-2018 - 19-Jan-2020
- Fundamentals, Techniques and Algorithms for Processing Multichannel Broadband Data | Delaosa, Connor
- Weiss, Stephan (Principal Investigator) Pestana, Jennifer (Co-investigator) Delaosa, Connor (Research Co-investigator)
- 01-Jan-2017 - 01-Jan-2021
Mathematics and Statistics
View University of Strathclyde in a larger map