Senior Lecturer in Translational Pharmaceutics
I am a pharmacist by training with experience of working within the hospital, community and industry sectors. I have contributed to a diverse molecule portfolio spanning pre-clinical to late-stage development during my time at AstraZeneca and in collaboration with Patrys Ltd at the Yale School of Medicine (PAT-DX1).
My research team has two overall interests;
i) Analytical characterization of parenteral formulation attributes and in vivo performance:
A key challenge in the commercial translation of newly-discovered drugs is understanding the key performance indicating characteristics crucial to their biological performance and how they interact with living systems. We are interested in developing new tools to profile these performance characteristics.
Areas of research interest in my lab are summarized as follows;
Understanding the environmental and physicochemical determinants of solution-phase formulation stability for antibody and suspension formulations.
Determining key critical quality attributes in particle design to inform optimal in vivo performance.
Analytical evaluation of nanomedicine interaction with biological media, and the mechanism of cellular uptake in two- and three-dimensional cellular models.
Applying novel imaging modalities for evaluating drug and nanoparticle biodistribution, and impact on tumor response.
The interplay between the tumour microenvironment and nanomedicine in vivo performance with a view to developing biorelevant in vitro tests.
ii) DNA repair agents and the nuclear import pathway, and their role in cancer:
We are interested in screening the functional and phenotypic role of DNA repair mutations. We also develop new small molecule drugs against various nuclear import transporters known to be elevated in cancer.
- EPSRC Peer Review College (External organisation)
- Royal Society of Edinburgh's Young Academy of Scotland (External organisation)
- Royal Society of Chemistry (External organisation)
- Strathclyde research integrity and culture week
- Scottish-EU crucible meeting
- Using storytelling to recount the untold narratives of breast cancer
More professional activities
- A pilot study evaluating the correlation between RA disease activity and gut dysbiosis
- Rattray, Nicholas (Principal Investigator) Rattray, Zahra (Co-investigator)
- 01-Jan-2023 - 31-Jan-2024
- DTP 2224 University of Strathclyde | Van Den Driest, Lisa
- Rattray, Nicholas (Principal Investigator) Rattray, Zahra (Co-investigator) Van Den Driest, Lisa (Research Co-investigator)
- 01-Jan-2022 - 01-Jan-2026
- Novel analytical pipelines for understanding oligonucleotide-loaded lipid nanoparticle critical quality attributes
- Rattray, Zahra (Principal Investigator) Perrie, Yvonne (Co-investigator)
- 01-Jan-2022 - 31-Jan-2026
- Royal Society of Chemistry: Developing an analytical toolbox for modelling antibody aggregation
- Rattray, Zahra (Principal Investigator) Halbert, Gavin (Principal Investigator) Considine, Paul (Researcher)
- Summer internship funded by Royal Society of Chemistry- £2600
- 13-Jan-2022 - 12-Jan-2022
- Recounting the Untold Stories of Breast Cancer: Narratives from the Patient, Clinician and Scientist Perspective
- Rattray, Zahra (Principal Investigator) Rattray, Nicholas (Co-investigator) Cunningham, Margaret Rose (Co-investigator) Chalmers, Susan (Co-investigator) MCFADDEN, Yvonne (Co-investigator)
- £5700 awarded to develop a series of storytelling events
- 14-Jan-2022 - 13-Jan-2023
- Multiscale Metrology Suite for Next-generation Healthcare Technologies (EPSRC Strategic Equipment)
- Rattray, Zahra (Principal Investigator) Bruns, Nico (Co-investigator) Faulds, Karen (Co-investigator) Graham, Duncan (Co-investigator) Halbert, Gavin (Co-investigator) Hoskins, Clare (Co-investigator) McArthur, Stephen (Co-investigator) Perrie, Yvonne (Co-investigator) Reid, Stuart (Co-investigator) Seib, Philipp (Co-investigator)
- 01-Jan-2021 - 31-Jan-2024
Strathclyde Institute of Pharmacy and Biomedical Sciences
University of Strathclyde
in a larger map