Professor John J Reilly
Professor of Physical Activity and Public Health Science
I joined the University in 2011 as John Anderson Research Leader and Professor of Physical Activity & Public Health Science. I was formerly Professor of Paediatric Energy Metabolism at the University of Glasgow. My research work focuses on: interventions for the prevention of child and adolescent obesity worldwide; the consequences of obesity and low physical activity in children and adolescents globally; the development and consequences of sedentary behaviour during childhood and adolescence globally; global monitoring of physical activity and sedentary behaviour in children and adolescents.
I am involved in a range of national and international Knowledge Exchange projects. Recent KE projects include
- leading the ‘Active Healthy Kids Scotland Report Card’ (www.activehealthykidsscotland.co.uk),
- international executive committee of the Active Healthy Kids Global Alliance (www.activehealthykids.org)
- membership of the Science and Evidence Group for the WHO Commission on Ending Childhood Obesity (ECHO) https://www.who.int/end-childhood-obesity/en/
- membership of the WHO Guideline Development Group on Physical Activity, Sedentary Behaviour, and Sleep for the under 5’s https://apps.who.int/iris/handle/10665/311664
- chair of the UK Health Departments physical activity guidelines update for the Under 5’s https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/physical-activity-guidelines
I have over 300 peer-reviewed papers with an h index (October 2018) of 58 (Web of Science) and 74 (Google Scholar). Recent publications include the following:
Longitudinal changes in moderate-to-vigorous-intensity physical activity in children and adolescents: systematic review and meta-analysis. MA Farooq, AM Gibson, X Janssen, AR Hughes, M, A Martin, JJ Reilly. Obes Rev 2020; 21: e12953.
Energy expenditure associated with posture transitions in pre-school children. KL Downing, X Janssen, DP Cliff, AD Okely, JJ Reilly. PLoS ONE 2019; 14 (4) e0215169
Non-linear associations between moderate-to-vigorous-intensity physical activity and adiposity across the adiposity distribution during childhood and adolescence: Gateshead Millennium Study. X Janssen, L Basterfield, KN Parkinson, M Pearce, JK Reilly, AJ Adamson, JJ Reilly. Int J Obes 2019 43:744-750.
Longitudinal changes in vigorous intensity physical activity from childhood to adolescence
Gateshead Millennium Cohort Study M Reyes Beltran-Valls, X Janssen, A Farooq, AJ
Adamson, MS Pearce, JK Reilly, L Basterfield, JJ Reilly. J Sci Med Sport 2019; 22: 450-
BMI versus deuterium dilution for establishing childhood obesity prevalence. A Diouf, T
Adom, A Aouidet, A El Hamdouchi, NI Joonas, CU Loechl, GH Leyna, D Mbithe, T
Moleah, A Monyeki, HL Nashandi, SMA Somda, JJ ReillyWHO Bulletin 2018; 96: 772-781.