I joined the University of Strathclyde in April 2014 as a Senior Lecturer. I am a microbiologist and radiochemist with extensive experience of research into microbial interactions with radionuclides and metals, working at the interface between microbiology and analytical & radio-chemistry.
My research is mainly focused on understanding how microorganisms can affect the chemistry and transport of radionuclides in the environment. These microbial effects can be exploited to develop novel methods for limiting the migration of radionuclide contaminants in the environment and to treat radioactive wastes.
Other recent research projects have investigated the interactions of silver nanoparticles with bacterial biofilms, remediation of petroleum contaminants and microbial transformations of metals.
- Welsh Government Nuclear Task & Finish Group
- BBC Radio Scotland Brainwaves Programme “Beyond the Bomb”
- Changyun Roh
- UK Dept for International Trade – UAE workshop
- Dream Job Day
- Ednei Assuncao Antunes Coelho
More professional activities
- PANAMA: Plasma Accelerators for Nuclear Applications and Materials Analysis (panama) - National Nuclear User Facility Phase 2
- Renshaw, Joanna (Principal Investigator) Jaroszynski, Dino (Co-investigator) Lunn, Rebecca (Co-investigator) McKenna, Paul (Co-investigator) Bots, Pieter (Research Co-investigator)
- 01-Jan-2019 - 30-Jan-2023
- Doctoral Training Partnership 2018-19 University of Strathclyde | Winwood, Robert
- Renshaw, Joanna (Principal Investigator) White, Chris (Co-investigator) Winwood, Robert (Research Co-investigator)
- 01-Jan-2019 - 01-Jan-2022
- VisNET: Virtual in situ networking to reinvent the rules of international collaborations and reduce gender differences in academic careers
- Mulvana, Helen Elizabeth (Principal Investigator) Renshaw, Joanna (Co-investigator)
- Programme Director on EPSRC Inclusion Matters funded project to evidence barrier to women's careers in STEM and pilot interventions to promote remote working methods
- 01-Jan-2019 - 01-Jan-2021
- STEM Equals (EPSRC Inclusion Matters)
- MacGregor, Scott (Principal Investigator) Carter, Sara (Co-investigator) Lunn, Rebecca (Co-investigator) Pyne, Susan (Co-investigator) Renshaw, Joanna (Co-investigator) Rivers, Ian (Co-investigator) Shipton, Zoe (Co-investigator)
- 01-Jan-2018 - 30-Jan-2021
- VisNET: Virtual in situ networking to reinvent the rules of international collaborations and reduce gender differences in
- Renshaw, Joanna (Principal Investigator)
- 01-Jan-2018 - 31-Jan-2020
- Underpinning the safety case for the use of colloidal silica based grout for waste containment
- Bots, Pieter (Co-investigator) Lunn, Rebecca (Principal Investigator) El Mountassir, Grainne (Co-investigator) Pedrotti, Matteo (Co-investigator) Payne, Timothy (Co-investigator) Renshaw, Joanna (Co-investigator)
- X-ray Computed Tomography beamtime awarded by Diamond Light Source (STFC) at equivalent funding value of £95,940.
Abstract of funded proposal:
In the proposed experiments we aim to develop the scientific case to underpin the use of novel colloidal silica based grouts for radioactive waste containment. We aim to use the element specific capabilities of synchrotron based X-ray CT at beamline I13-2 to investigate the effects of the grout injection on the geochemistry of Sr, Cs and U. We will also utilize the time resolved capabilities to determine the influence of complex solid matrices on the (injection) behaviour of the silica grouts.
- 06-Jan-2017 - 10-Jan-2017
Civil and Environmental Engineering
James Weir Building
View University of Strathclyde in a larger map