I joined the University of Strathclyde in 2007 and I’m currently a Reader in the Department of Naval Architecture, Ocean and Marine Engineeing. I am committed teaching in thermodynamics, heat transfer, energy system management, marine pipeline and computational fluid dynamics.
My recent research interests are numerical simulations and modeling of marine related fluid problems. There are three main research directions in my research group. (a) The flow analysis in bio-mimetic study, such as the physical phenomena associated with a flapping wing and swimming fish with their applications in bio-inspired robot and propeller. (b) The general fluid mechanics and aerodynamics. (c) The marine and wind renewable energy devices (tidal/current and offshore renewable energy).
For more information please visit our research team webpage:
- Workshop on Offshore Wind and Wave Energy for Turkey
- Keynote/plenary speaker
- Biomimetic study and its applications in renewable energy devices
- Computational Fluid-Structure Dynamics in offshore, renewable & marine technology
- Elsevier (Publisher)
- Editorial board member
- Applied Energy (Journal)
- Ocean Engineering (Journal)
- Editorial board member
more professional activities
- A Feasibility Study on Hydropower Generation by Hydrostatic Pressure
- Xiao, Qing (Principal Investigator) Liu, Wendi (Researcher)
- The project is commissioned by the Subsea Hydropower Ltd and supported by the ETP Knowledge Exchange Network Engagement Fund. This project will carry out mathematical modelling to ascertain the feasibility of the proposed subsea turbine design.
If the design is not feasible as it stands then changes will be suggested to achieve this.
Should the initial design as provided prove feasible then improvements will be suggested so as to increase overall efficiency of the product.
- 08-Jan-2018 - 13-Jan-2018
- Assessment of offshore floating wind turbine’s hydrodynamic and structure performance to foster system sustainability
- Xiao, Qing (Principal Investigator) Liu, Wendi (Co-investigator) Liu, Yuanchuan (Researcher)
- EPSRC Resource Allocation Panel (RAP): Access to Tier-2 Cirrus Service
- 15-Jan-2018 - 14-Jan-2019
- Understanding Bio-Inspired Robot Propulsion, Maneuvering, and Power ? Hydrodynamic Control & Auton
- Xiao, Qing (Principal Investigator) Post, Mark (Co-investigator)
- 01-Jan-2017 - 30-Jan-2020
- A Study of Bio-inspired Three-dimensional PASSIVELY Deformed Flexible Blade for Wind/Tidal Turbines (EPSRC)
- Xiao, Qing (Principal Investigator) Liu, Wendi (Co-investigator)
- EPSRC Resource Allocation Panel (RAP): Access to ARCHER
- 01-Jan-2015 - 01-Jan-2016
- Enhancement and sustainability the capability of NAOME in Marine Renewable Energy Research
- Xiao, Qing (Principal Investigator)
- funded by Faculty of Engineering Strategic Research Funding, Strathclyde University, UK
- 01-Jan-2015 - 01-Jan-2017
- New control systems for aero-elastic tailoring of wind turbines (WISE Project)
- Yue, Hong (Principal Investigator) Xiao, Qing (Co-investigator) Martin, Richard (Co-investigator)
- WISE project
- 01-Jan-2015 - 31-Jan-2016
Naval Architecture, Ocean and Marine Engineering
Henry Dyer Building
View University of Strathclyde in a larger map