I joined the University of Strathclyde in 2007 and I’m currently a Reader in the Department of Naval Architecture, Ocean and Marine Engineering. I am committed teaching in thermodynamics, heat transfer, energy system management, marine pipeline and computational fluid dynamics.
I have more than 25 years of research experience in the Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) field with extensive experience ranging from numerical simulation of aerodynamic compressible flow to bio-mimetic and ocean renewable energy incompressible flow. My main research interests lie in the application of CFD for flow analysis of bio-inspired studies and ocean renewable energy. Some of my main research themes include the physical phenomena associated with a flapping wing and swimming fish with their applications in bioinspired under-water robots; flapping-based tidal energy device; the offshore renewable energy devices such as tidal turbine, the fixed and floating wind turbine; wave energy converter and offshore fluid-structure interaction such as Vortex Induced Vibration.
In addition to my extensive research activities, I am currently an ITTC Ocean Engineering Committee member, Associated Editor of OMAE Journal, Editorial Board member of Ocean Engineering; a senior member of AIAA, member of OMAE.
For more information please visit our research team webpage:
- 29th International Towing Tank Conference (ITTC)
- Energies (Journal)
- Guest editor
- ASME 2021 International Offshore Wind Technical Conference, IOWTC2020
- Chinese Journal of Ship Research (Journal)
- Advisory Board Member
- Taiwan Society of Naval Architects and Marine Engineers (Publisher)
- Advisory Board Member
- IEEE OES Autonomous Underwater Vehicle Symposium (AUV) 2020 Symposium
More professional activities
- Mooring analysis and design for offshore WEC survivability and fatigue
- Xiao, Qing (Principal Investigator)
- 01-Jan-2021 - 30-Jan-2024
- Bionic Adaptive Stretchable Materials for WEC (BASM-WEC)
- Xiao, Qing (Principal Investigator) Bomphray, Iain (Co-investigator) Brennan, Feargal (Co-investigator) Day, Sandy (Co-investigator) Yang, Liu (Co-investigator)
- 01-Jan-2021 - 31-Jan-2024
- Flexible structure wave energy converter
- Xiao, Qing (Principal Investigator) Li, Xiang (Researcher)
- This project represents the first stage in the development of a new and revolutionary commercial scale Wave Energy Converter (WEC). The concept is based on a very innovative compressible rubber hydrodynamic subsystem and overlying hydraulic off take system. This project will use modelling tool to analyse a simplified model of the WEC.
- 15-Jan-2021 - 12-Jan-2021
- Feasibility study on hydro-power renewable energy device
- Xiao, Qing (Principal Investigator) Deng, Zhongsheng (Researcher)
- The project aims to achieve proof of concept for a new renewable energy device developed by New Energy Scotland Ltd. The project receives the funding support from The Scottish Funding Council.
- 01-Jan-2020 - 15-Jan-2021
- Offshore floating structure hydrodynamic analysis in ORE applications
- Xiao, Qing (Principal Investigator) Zhou, Yang (Co-investigator)
- This is an application for EPSRC Resource Allocation Panel (RAP): Access to Cirrus HPC Service from EPCC. This proposed project aimed to further advance the numerical modelling tool and investigate the offshore floating structures with their applications in Ocean Renewable Energy (ORE) area.
- 16-Jan-2020 - 15-Jan-2021
- Otter Turbine Numerical Analysis for Ormsary Farmers LP
- Xiao, Qing (Principal Investigator) Day, Sandy (Co-investigator)
- 15-Jan-2020 - 31-Jan-2020
Naval Architecture, Ocean and Marine Engineering
Henry Dyer Building
View University of Strathclyde in a larger map