- Number of scholarships: Variable
- Value: Cost of tuition fees and essential study costs
- Opens: 5 February 2023
- Deadline: 28 May 2023
- Helps with: Tuition fees, Travel costs, Equipment and study costs
- Duration: Length of course, or until eligible for state funding
The University has worked closely with the University of Strathclyde Students’ Association, Scottish Refugee Council and The Carnegie Trust in developing this Scholarship which is intended to help Asylum Seekers and those staying in the UK on humanitarian grounds to overcome barriers in progressing to higher education.
The scholarship is open to prospective undergraduate and taught postgraduate students of the University of Strathclyde. The scholarship meets the cost of your tuition fees and includes an allowance for essential study-related expenditure.
Successful applicants will receive the following financial support:
- Tuition Fees
The University will provide scholarship funding to cover the full cost of the tuition fees for the student’s course until such time as the student is eligible to receive support from the Student Awards Agency Scotland (SAAS) or Student Finance England, Wales or Northern Ireland.
- Study Allowance
The award will include a study allowance which will be used to reimburse essential study-related expenditure. This will include payments for books, equipment and travel to and from the University.
The award will continue to be made for the normal duration of studies for the student’s course unless/until:
- The student withdraws from the course
- The student completes the course
- The student reaches the end of the asylum and immigration appeals process and is no longer lawfully allowed to remain in the UK
- The student obtains a Home Office status which entitles them to support from SAAS, Student Finance England, Wales or Northern Ireland. In this case the student’s fee waiver will end when government funding for fees commences
Current Scholars - Study related cost request form
How to apply
Asylum Seeker Scholarship application criteria
Please read the above application criteria before submitting an application form.
Asylum Seeker Scholarship application form
Completed forms should be returned by email to:
Funding and Financial Support Privacy Notice
Funding and Financial Support Team
Funding and Financial Support Team, Level 4,
The Dame Jocelyn Bell-Burnell Wing
Learning and Teaching Building
University of Strathclyde