Registered students of the University shall be eligible to apply to the Fund if they meet the following criteria:
- are aged 21 or over at the start of their current course of study.
- started their course with an appropriate funding arrangement in place but have fallen into hardship
- if eligible, have applied to the Discretionary Fund for support
- If eligible, have applied for all statutory funding (Student loan, bursary, cost of living grant)
- or they have been recommended for support from the Fund by the Student Support Team on the basis of urgent or exceptional circumstances
- a payment from the fund will make a significant contribution to the student’s ability to continue their studies successfully.
Level and Number of Awards
The level of award will be judged on a case to case basis but awards are likely to be around £500-£1000 to assist students in overcoming short term hardship. Because of this, the fund cannot be used to replace a regular income. Awards will be made until the fund has been exhausted.
If you have any queries please contact the Funding and Financial Support team:
0141 548 2753
email@example.com (for enquiries only)
How to apply
- Complete the Application for Financial Support form if you wish to apply for financial support. You only need to submit one application (and one set of supporting documents) and our assessing team will assess your circumstances and eligibility across all of the funds we administer (Housing Support Fund, Mature Students Hardship Fund, University of Strathclyde Covid-19 Hardship Fund, The Lady Eileen McDonald EU & International Student Fund and Discretionary Fund).
- Please complete the application, ensure you include all income and expenditure. We cannot assess an incomplete application. You must provide all the documents needed or your application will be delayed. Please provide photocopies, originals will not be returned.
This is a fillable PDF form. We recommend downloading the form first and saving a copy to your PC. You can then fill in the required information using Adobe Acrobat (free Adobe Reader). Remember to save your form at regular intervals so you don’t lose your information and remember to send your completed form.
Application for Financial Support
Completed application forms and supporting documents should be emailed to
Due to staff remote working, we are unable to accept hard copies of applications. You cannot post or drop off applications.
University of Strathclyde Discretionary Fund Assessment Guidance