Study with us Stephen Young Global Leaders’ Scholarship Programme
In September 2021, the University of Strathclyde received a £50 million donation from alumnus Charles Huang PhD through his philanthropic foundation - the Charles Huang Foundation (CHF).
Dr Huang gained his MBA from Strathclyde in 1989 and his PhD in Marketing in 1994. He is a global business leader and founder and chairman of Pasaca Capital Inc, a California-based private equity firm established in 2016, with various global portfolio companies in North America, Europe, Asia and the Middle East in medical devices, pharmaceuticals, TMT, industrials & automation, and entertainment.
I'm hoping my donation can inspire the new generation of business leaders.
Dr Charles Huang
Global Leaders' Programme
The Stephen Young Global Leaders’ Scholarship Programme (SYGL) seeks to honour Professor Stephen Young, a former Head of the Department of Marketing and Dr Huang’s supervisor and mentor during his PhD studies. In his memory, the Charles Huang Foundation donation will fund up to five scholarship awards each year for scholars of exceptional merit undertaking the Strathclyde MBA on a full-time study basis (one year) in Glasgow. SYGL seeks to develop global leaders and talent in society and business. Alongside your MBA studies, each scholar will also be given the opportunity to benefit from certain leadership elements via the Stephen Young Institute for International Business (SYIIB) and be part of the wider SYIIB community.
Successful candidates will achieve a full-fee scholarship to the Strathclyde MBA as well as a generous stipend to cover living costs during studies.
SYGL Leadership Track
All SYGL scholars will undertake Strathclyde MBA studies as a member of the full-time MBA cohort and be part of the wider SBS community. In addition to these studies, you will also benefit from the SYGL Leadership elements – a programme of experiential learning and mentor support to help your development as a future global leader. More specifically, the SYGL Programme will equip you with essential leadership skills and competencies that will enable you to become a values led, impactful leader who can help organisations succeed in a responsible and sustainable way. The SYGL Programme will help you to develop the capabilities required in an increasingly competitive and rapidly changing, global marketplace. In addition to the MBA studies, SYGL Scholars could benefit from one of the following opportunities:
- attending MBA elective classes at Strathclyde’s international MBA centres around the world (to include flights/accommodation) – Europe, Middle East and Far East
- an international exchange with another University – e.g. a strategic university partner of Strathclyde – to include flights and accommodation
- taking part in a special research project as outlined by the Stephen Young Institute for International Business (tbc nearer the time) -
In addition, all SYGL scholars will be offered coaching/mentoring support by a business leader, CEO or other senior executive of a large company with an industry focus. The choice of mentor will be informed by your industry background and your future career aspirations.
- Number of scholarships: Up to five
- Value: Full Scholarship (Tuition and Living Costs)
- Opens: 12 September 2022
- Deadline: 18 June 2023
- Helps with: Tuition fees, Living costs
The Stephen Young Global Leaders’ Scholarship Programme (SYGL) seeks to honour Professor Stephen Young, a former Head of the Department of Marketing and Dr Charles Huang’s supervisor and mentor during his PhD studies. In his memory, the Charles Huang Foundation donation will fund up to five scholarship awards each year for scholars of exceptional merit undertaking the Strathclyde MBA on a full-time study basis (one year) in Glasgow starting September 2023.
The selection process for the scholarship will be as follows:
- all applications submitted online via a formal application form, will be shortlisted by an Strathclyde Business School panel. Thereafter, a Selection Committee will be appointed to consider all short-listed applications
- the Selection Committee will be chaired by the Executive Dean of the Business School or his/her nominee and include the Academic Director of the Business School MBA programme and other senior academic representatives.
- decisions of the Selection Committee shall be made by simple majority. If a decision cannot be reached, the Chair shall make the final decision
- recommendations would be shared with the Donor; the University will make the final decisions on selection
For further information, take a look at the Stephen Young Global Leaders’ Scholarship Programme brochure.