The Equality Act 2010 includes the Public Sector Equality Duty (PSED), which places particular equality requirements upon public bodies.
The PSED requires universities and public bodies to have due regard to the need to:
- Eliminate unlawful discrimination, harassment and victimisation and other conduct prohibited by the Equality Act
- Advance equality of opportunity between people who share a protected characteristic and those who do not
- Foster good relations between people who share a protected characteristic and those who do not.
The protected characteristics covered by the Public Sector Equality Duty are:
- Gender reassignment
- Marriage and civil partnership
- Pregnancy and maternity
- Religion or belief
- Sexual orientation
- The Public Sector Equality Duty covers all the protected characteristics apart from marriage and civil partnership, for which public bodies will only have to demonstrate due regard to the need to eliminate unlawful discrimination in employment.
Why equality monitoring is required?
The PSED places specific reporting duties on the University.
The University of Strathclyde in meeting the Public Sector Equality Duty requirements published the following reports in April 2021.
You may use the information by acknowledging the University of Strathclyde.
Equality Challenge Unit’s annual statistics reports provide a comprehensive overview of staff and students demographics in UK higher education.
Please also check the Equality and Human Rights Commission website for updated information on national UK legislation and relevant Codes of Practice.
This section contains old reports. Please feel free to browse and use these for research, planning or for information in raising awareness. You may use the information by acknowledging the University of Strathclyde.
- Strathclyde Equal Pay and Gender pay gap report 2017
- Strathclyde Equalities Mainstreaming Report 2017
- Strathclyde Equality Outcomes 2013-2017 Progress Report
- Strathclyde Equality Outcomes 2017-2021
- Strathclyde Equality Outcomes Consultation report 2017
- Strathclyde Students Equality Monitoring Report 2017
- Strathclyde Staff Equality Monitoring Report 2017
- Equality Outcomes 2013-2017