The FAI publishes a range of reports covering a wide range of different topics. These include our regular reports such as the Fraser Economic Commentary, Scotland's Budget and Labour Market Trends. For more information on these reports see the pages listed above.
Alongside this, we also publish individual reports which summarise our academic research or commissioned studies. Some of these are listed below. For a full list of all our publications see here or at our news & events page.
Alternatively, a full list of each staff member's publications is available on the Our People section of the website.
We also regularly publish shorter articles here.
The Fraser also regularly produces and uses multi-sectoral economic accounts. We are keen that such databases are available to the wider academic and research community for their use.
- The impact of Covid-19 on the Arran economy
- Scotland’s invisible people: Support and opportunities for adults with learning disabilities
- Orkney Islands economic review
- The economic impact of job losses in the civil aviation and aerospace engineering sectors
- Modelling the Economic Impact of a Citizen’s Basic Income in Scotland
- The economic contribution of the Scottish Professional Football League
- The Direct Long-term Trade Impacts of EU Exit Scenarios on Northern Ireland
- Brexit and the sectors of the Scottish economy - 2019 update
- Scotland in 2050: Realising Our Global Potential - part2
- The economic contribution of Glasgow Housing Association
- The economic contribution of the pharmaceutical industry in Scotland
- The economic contribution of Celtic FC
- North Ayrshire Economic Review
- Scotland in 2050: Realising our global potential
- Brexit and the Glasgow City Region
- The economic contribution of the commercial property sector
- The economic impact of changes in alcohol consumption in the UK
- Impact Assessment of Strathclyde’s Combined Heat and Power Project
- The affordability of water and sewerage charges in Scotland
- Brexit and the Sectors of the Scottish Economy: A Report for GMB Scotland
- Economic impact of the proposed Neart Na Gaoithe offshore windfarm
- The economic contribution of the pharmaceutical sector in Scotland
- Fiscal issues facing Local Governments in Scotland
- Chevron U.K. economic impact report
- The value of college graduates to the Scottish economy
Department of Economics Research Areas
Scottish Labour Market Trends
Labour Market Trends was jointly produced by The Fraser of Allander Institute (FAI) and The Scottish Centre for Employment Research (SCER) and aimed to shed light on key developments in Scotland’s labour market. Alongside a summary of trends and the future outlook, the report also highlighted longer trend developments and areas for discussion.
- Download Labour Market Trends - Vol 3 No 1
- Read the latest Scottish Labour Market Trends report - Vol 2 No 4
- Read the latest Scottish Labour Market Trends report - Vol 2 No 3
- Read the latest Scottish Labour Market Trends report - Vol 2 No 2
- Read the latest Scottish Labour Market Trends report - Vol 2 No 1
- Read the latest Scottish Labour Market Trends report - Vol 1 No 4
- Read the Labour Market Trends - Vol 1 No 3
- Read Scottish Labour Trends - Vol 1 No 2
- Read Scottish Labour Trends - Vol 1 No 1
- "Long-term Economic Implications of Brexit", Report for Scottish Parliament’s European and External Relations Committee, October 2016. Presentation available here.
- Allan, G.J., Lecca, P. and Swales, J.K. (2017), "The impacts of temporary but anticipated tourism spending: An application to the Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games", Tourism Management, 59, p. 325-337.
- Allan, G.J., Lecca, P., McGregor, P.G. and Swales, J.K. (2014), "The economic and environmental impact of a carbon tax for Scotland: A computable general equilibrium analysis", Ecological Economics, 100, p. 40-50.
- Gilmartin M. Learmonth D. Swales K. McGregor P. & Turner K. (2013), "Regional policy spill-overs: the national impact of demand-side policy in an interregional model of the UK economy", Environment and Planning A, 45, 4, pp 814 – 834.
- Hermannsson K. Lisenkova K. Lecca P. McGregor P. & Swales K. (2016), "The external benefits of higher education", Regional Studies, published online.
- Lecca P. McGregor P. Swales K. Yin YP (2014), "Balanced budget multipliers for small open regions within a federal system", Journal of Regional Science, Vol. 54, No. 3, pp. 402-421
- Lisenkova, K. and Sanchez-Martinez, M. (2016), "The Long-Term Macroeconomic Effects of Lower Migration to the UK", NIESR Discussion Paper, May 2016.
Addleshaw Goddard - FAI Scottish Business Monitor
For more information, please see the page on the Addleshaw Goddard Scottish Business Monitor.
Oil and Gas survey
Aberdeen & Grampian Chamber of Commerce is independently conducted by the Fraser of Allander Institute. It is produced in partnership with the Aberdeen and Grampian Chamber of Commerce and KPMG.
The survey was established in 1996 and is published bi-annually. It provides an authoritative overview of trends in activity, investment, employment and optimism in the UKCS and internationally. It also explores key policy questions of the day and the implications for business. Its findings are used by both Scottish Chambers of Commerce and British Chambers of Commerce to develop national energy policy.
The Quarterly Economic Indicator
The Scottish Chambers of Commerce Economic Development Intelligence Unit produce the Quarterly Economic Indicator in conjunction with the Fraser of Allander Institute. It is Scotland's longest running business survey of its kind and regularly provides an accurate and authoritative picture of the health of the Scottish economy and the issues facing businesses across various sectors.
Copies of the QEI and the press releases can be downloaded from the Scottish Chamber of Commerce web page here.
- The role of skills and education in boosting productivity (2018). Scottish Policy Foundation.
- Scotland’s tax powers (2018). Scottish Policy Foundation.
- Exports – a background note (2018). Scottish Policy Foundation.
FAI fiscal research is supported by