About Management Science
Effective and timely decision-making is key to the success of any organization. Management Science supports this process through bringing a structured, analytical and rigorous approach to decision making. Many organisations looking to gain a sustainable competitive edge in an increasingly difficult environment use Management Science to deliver improved business performance. This will often involve applying analytical techniques to the increasing amount of business data that is collected.
The Department of Management Science is one of the leading Management Science/Operational Research departments in the UK. Research interests of staff span the spectrum of Management Science activity. Many of our staff are internationally-known, both through their academic output and applied work with government and business organisations.
Our department collaborates with major organisations on new ways of dealing with complex decisions through applied research and consultancy.
Recent work has included:
- developing risk management processes for manufacturing supply networks
- large scale automation of medicine distribution
- health prioritisation for low and middle income countries
- optimisation of logistic operations for an offshore wind farm
- and working towards systems for smart procurement with defence organisations.