We work with industry, government, the third sector and the clinical community through our research, training and consultancy. We’re renowned worldwide for our biomedical engineering research and educational programmes with over 40 years of experience.
Established research programmes are in place with partner institutions in the USA, Europe, the Middle East, Africa, and Asia, including:
- Sino-UK Research Partnership for PhD Studies - this is a partnership between the Universities of Strathclyde, UK, and the School of Biological Science and Medical Engineering, Beihang University, Beijing, China
One of the main ways we connect with all these sectors across the world is through the Strathclyde Institute of Medical Devices.
Strathclyde Institute of Medical Devices
The Strathclyde Institute of Medical Devices is based in the biomedical engineering department. It brings together specialists in engineering, life and physical sciences, and the NHS to research and innovate the technologies of tomorrow.
The institute works closely with industry, responding to the challenging needs of companies, clinical groups and technologists who are working on a wide range of patient needs and conditions.
The institute's work covers a number of broad areas to support the advancement of health and technology through research, teaching and commercialisation.
- Our research profile
- Rehabilitation engineering
- Medical devices & diagnostic technologies
- Cell tissue & organ engineering
The academic and research specialists working in the institute understand the needs of the medical device industry, the NHS and other clinical organisations. Currently they’re working on a wide range of patient needs and conditions.
- research brokering
- spin-in and spin-out information
- support and advice for clinicians and clinical staff with research needs, including advice on postgraduate study or research in medical devices
- Research Facilitated Funding
- Technology Opportunities
The institute keeps close links with the medical technology industry in Scotland and the rest of the UK and actively encourages contact from small and medium enterprises (SMEs) as well as established medical companies.
We can help companies in different ways such as:
Strathclyde Institute of Medical Devices is arranging a series of events for networking and sharing the University’s medical technology & devices research and expertise. These will be tailored to specific groups or subject specific areas and will sometimes involve partner organisations.
How we can help you
- Do you have a medical technology related problem that University expertise could assist you with?
- Do you need support or funding to work with the University?
- Are you interested in attending productive networking events?
We can provide a pathway to help in medical device clinical investigations and on to product launch. Please get in touch with Alan Lindsay, our Industrial Interface Manager, to discuss your requirements.
+44 (0)141 548 4110