Electronic & Electrical Engineering Our industrial links
We collaborate with key UK and global industry, policy-making and government partners through a broad range of mechanisms. Our research, consultancy and industrial services help with technology development. Our CPD and internships support staff training and graduate recruitment.
By building long-term strategic relationships, we advance our research, support technology transfer, and foster the next generation of engineering talent.
We're always keen to develop new partnerships, so if you would like to work with us, please contact Professor Tony Gachagan, Deputy Head of Department (Research & Knowledge Exchange).
Continuing professional development (CPD)
We offer an extensive portfolio of instructor-led and online CPD programmes in the Power and Energy sectors, designed to help companies and individuals enhance their professional skills and expertise.
Flexible delivery modes are available. If our current programmes don’t meet your training needs, we’re happy to discuss development of tailor-made options.
Our research groups have cutting edge facilities.
If you're an academic or external company please contact us if you are interested in using or hiring our facilities.
Internships form part of our MSc programmes. They're offered in collaboration with selected industry partners and address engineering challenges they currently experience.
Site visits and access to relevant technical data and or/facilities are provided, along with an industry mentor and academic supervisor.
If you have a short-term project you would like to offer as an internship, please contact Professor John Soraghan.
Our research activities are driven by two broad-based Institutes, whose expertise supports innovation across key sectors. Their contributions include:
- Electro-technologies to combat hospital-borne infections
- Condition monitoring decision support software for electrical utility companies
- Intelligent network management and control methods for future smart grid and micro-grid applications
- Advanced signal processing techniques to improve the movement of prosthetic limbs
- Smart video analytics to enhance surveillance systems
- NDE technologies to support infrastructure diagnostics in hazardous environments
- Data processing tools to improve the range and resolution of ultrasonic imaging systems
- Use of the white space radio spectrum to improve broadband connectivity and provision in rural and remote environments.
- Modelling control techniques to enhance engine performance and meet emissions regulations
Spinouts & start-ups
We have a track record of enterprise, entrepreneurship and research commercialisation, having created over 20 spin-out companies and start-ups.
These have developed and integrated novel cutting-edge technologies and systems across many key sectors in national and global economies.