The Engineering the Future for Girls programme has moved online for 2021, and applications are now being invited via the online application system. Applications are open to all S3 girls studying in a Scottish secondary school. There are 100 places available which are fully-funded by BP and BAM Ritchies.
The programme is designed to inspire young female students to discover the excitement and personal satisfaction behind a career in engineering through participation in hands-on challenges.
Virtual sessions will run over three mornings on Monday 7th, Tuesday 8th and Wednesday 9th June 2021 from 10am – 12.30pm each day. Participants will hear from staff and students at the University and colleagues from BP and BAM who will provide an insight into studying and working in the field of engineering. Participants will also take part in a group project throughout the week. Participants must be able to commit to attending all sessions as listed above. We hope to see the same enthusiasm for our online offering as we see each year for the on-campus programme and are excited to be able to engage with our budding female engineers in 2021!
Specific details about the programme and guidance on how to apply (for applicants, teachers and parents) can be found below – please read carefully:
Online programme/lab kit details:
- The online platform which will be used is Microsoft Teams.
- As the programme will run over three days, pupils must be able to commit to attending all online sessions.
- As the programme will be running during school hours, pupils should have already consulted their teacher with regards to having time away from normal studies and to identify that a suitable room with IT facilities (i.e. a computer or another device with access to the internet and the ability to join a MS Teams meeting) are available to us for every session.
- There will be an element of group work and, if there are multiple pupils attending from one school, it is likely they will not be assigned to the same group. Pupils will therefore require access to an individual device (i.e. two attendees from one school cannot share a device). A device with a microphone is compulsory in order to engage with the group work. A webcam is also preferred for this purpose but is not essential.
- No physical materials will be required to participate in the online sessions or the group work.