PoliciesRight to Work in the UK

The University is obliged to perform checks on all employees to ensure they can work lawfully in the UK. This obligation is set out in the Immigration, Asylum and Nationality Act 2006.

Documentation can either provide an ongoing statutory excuse, for the entire duration of employment or for a limited period. Where time limited documents have been provided as evidence of right to work in the UK, mainly work visas issued by the Home Office, further evidence must be provided to Human Resources in advance of the expiry date of the initial documents. Employees and workers will not be permitted to continue working for the university without the timely provision of evidence of ongoing right to work in the UK.

The obligation is to check, copy and retain certain original documents before an individual commences employment.

Further Guidance from the Home Office is available on what types of document and document combinations can be used. There is also a useful online tool available that demonstrates the process the University is required to complete, prior to employees or workers commencing work. The online document checker tool allows you to check which documents give you the right to work in the UK and what checks we are required to carry out for each of them

Individuals will normally be eligible to work in the UK if they are in one of the following categories:

  • A legal national of the UK or Irish Citizen
  • A dependent, husband, wife or civil partner of a UK national or an individual who has an existing right to work in the UK and who holds a dependent visa
  • Indefinite Leave to Remain or a UK ancestry visa
  • An EU, EEA or Swiss citizen (or a Dependent of) who has pre-settled or settled status under the EU Settlement Scheme
  • Global Talent visa
  • Youth Mobility Scheme visa
  • Tier 1 (Exceptional Talent)
  • Graduate visa

If you are an EU citizen please see our EU Settlement Scheme page.

The relevant categories of sponsorship by the university under the UK Points Based Immigration (PBS) system are:

  • Skilled Worker visa
  • Temporary Worker - Government Authorised Exchange visa (T5)
  • Tier 4/Student visa
  • Doctorate Extension Scheme (DES) visa

Further details are available on the International Recruitment webpage.

Student visa working permissions

If you have a Student visa (formerly Tier 4), you must be aware that there are strict rules governing the total number of hours that you may work in any given week. This covers all of the jobs that you have. The limits are determined, among other factors, by your level of study and whether or not your work is undertaken during term-time.

Please ensure that you read the full guidance note on Student Visa Work Permissions and Routes to Employment and refer to the key dates for the academic sessionDetailed student sponsor guidance is available on the UK Government website.

Departmental users of the Supplementary Payments System can find more information on evidencing Right to Work checks on SharePoint (login required).

Hourly paid workers - checks made by the work requestor

Further information is contained in the document, Supplementary Payments and Guaranteed-hours Assignment (pdf) (SharePoint login required).

Guidance on the requirements of Permitted Paid Engagements is also available.

Skilled Worker and Government Authorised Exchange routes

The University holds a Home Office licence which allows it to recruit and employ international staff under the Skilled Worker and Government Authorised Exchange routes (formerly Tier 2 and Tier 5 respectively) of the Points Based System of Immigration. The recruitment and employment of high quality international staff is recognised as being of the utmost strategic importance to the University. In order to continue to recruit and employ high quality international staff, the University and its staff must ensure ongoing compliance with Home Office regulations, supported by the relevant policy, procedural framework and guidance:

Home Office PBS Policy

Home Office PBS Procedure

Guidance Summary Document: Home Office Issues (Head of Department)

Guidance Document for Key Contacts

Guidance Summary Document: Home Office Issues (Staff & Visitors)