Travel Cover FAQ

Here are a selection of frequently asked questions relating to the University's Travel Cover.

Any questions not answered here should be sent to

 Q. Am I covered by the University’s travel cover?

A. If you are a member of staff or a registered student and are travelling on University business then, yes, you are covered by the University’s cover. In order to confirm cover you should complete the online travel notification form.

If you are not a member of staff or a registered student but are travelling on behalf of the University of Strathclyde it may be possible to arrange cover. You should complete the online travel notification form and we will contact you to obtain further details.

Q. My spouse/partner/child is travelling with me – are they covered?

A. No – you must arrange separate cover for spouses/partners/children.

Q. Am I covered for any personal holidays I add onto my business trip?

A. No – the University’s travel cover will only operate whilst you are travelling on University related business.




 Q. How will I know that I am covered under the University’s travel cover? 

A. You should complete the online travel cover form. Once successfully submitted you will be sent an email cover note providing schedule number, emergency contact details and a summary of cover provided under the University’s travel cover.


 Q. What cover does the University’s travel cover provide for my personal belongings?

A. The University’s travel cover provides cover for personal belongings up to a total value of £5,000 with a single article limit of £1,500.

Q. Are pre-existing medical conditions covered under the University’s travel cover? 

A. Yes – all pre-existing medical conditions are covered under the University’s travel cover as long as you are not travelling against the advice of your GP.


 Q. Can you provide me with confirmation of travel cover for a visa application I am making? 

A. The Finance Office can provide individual letters for staff/students who are making visa applications. You can request such a letter by emailing your request to please provide your travel dates and destinations.

 Q. How do I raise a claim against the University’s travel cover? 

A. If urgent medical assistance is required whilst overseas you should contact Global Response as soon as possible on +44 (0) 2920 662 425 or They deal with our insurers on live medical claims and are best placed to help you at the moment.

For all other claims please contact for a claim form which should be and returned as soon as possible along with as much supporting documentation as possible including: travel itinerary, police reports, receipts etc.


Q. What if the airline goes bankrupt?

A. The travel cover excludes the financial failure of any transport or accommodation supplier so no claim would be possible in this eventuality.

Q. I no longer wish to travel. Can I submit a claim?

A. Whilst unexpected circumstances necessitating cancellation or curtailment of your journey will be considered under the policy, this does have to be necessary and unavoidable. Contact us at for clarification if needed.

Return to Insurance homepage