Information ServicesLicence schemes allowing reuse of materials

A range of licences exist to allow staff and students at subscribing institutions to copy protected work without having to obtain individual copyright owners' permission.

This is the licence under which University of Strathclyde is authorised to make copies (including scans made by the digitisation service) for the purposes of teaching and research. 

A CLA licence allows the photocopying, scanning and re-use of digital content from books, journals and electronic publications for educational purposes.

The licence allows you to:

  • photocopy books, journals and magazines owned or subscribed to by the University of Strathclyde and covered by the CLA repertoire
  • make digital copies by scanning for distribution to students via MyPlace (this is restricted to Digitisation Service staff only)
  • make copies of content from digital material, including e-books and online journals (restricted to Digitisation Service staff only)
  • copy photographs, illustration, charts or diagrams where they are included in an article or extract

Copying limits:

  • one whole chapter from a book (including e-books)
  • one whole journal article or set of conference papers
  • one short story or poem (not exceeding 10 pages in length)
  • one whole report of a single case or judicial proceedings
  • or 10% of any of the above, whichever is the greater

Using more than the copying limits allow

The CLA offer a Second Extract Permission Service to allow universities to use an additional amount from a book, journal, or digital publication. There is a charge for this.

If you would like to know more, please contact Information Services. We will provide more details and can get a quote for you. 

The CLA licence does not allow you to copy:

  • printed music (including the words)
  • maps and charts (unless they are included in an article or extract)
  • newspapers
  • workbooks, work card and assignment sheets
  • any works that state it cannot be copied under the CLA licence

For a full list please see the CLA list of excluded works.

Scanning and uploading materials to Myplace

The CLA licence does not permit you to scan materials and upload them directly to Myplace.

The digitisation service processes all of the University's CLA scanning requests. We provide the CLA with an annual report to allow them to distribute royalty payments to copyright owners.

Resource not covered by the licence

If the resource you want to reuse isn't covered by the licence:

  • we can contact the copyright owner on your behalf to request permission
  • your faculty librarian may be able to suggest a suitable alternative
  • you may be able to use an extract from the resource under one of the copyright exceptions. 

Please contact Information Services for guidance.

Help with reading lists

The digitisation service can make resources covered by the CLA licence available within your Myplace class. 

Is there a way to check if the resource I want to reuse is covered?

Yes, please use the CLA's 'check permissions' tool.

Do I need to display a CLA poster in my department?

Yes, please ensure the CLA HE Notice for Display (pdf) is displayed next to all photocopiers/multi-function devices, to comply with the licence.

The NLA licence allows staff to photocopy cuttings from NLA covered newspapers for distribution to students for the purpose of education. It also (normally) allows you to make a digital cutting by scanning a cutting from an NLA covered newspaper or (in most cases) make a copy from an online version of a newspaper and share it with students via Myplace.

The NLA licence licences the copying of content on behalf of the copyright owners. This means you do not need to contact each newspaper individually each time you want to copy an article.

What newspapers are covered?

Newspapers that are covered by the licence include:

  • Courier & Advertiser
  • Daily Express
  • Daily Mail
  • Daily Mirror
  • Daily Record (Scotland)
  • Daily Star
  • Daily Telegraph
  • Evening News (Edinburgh)
  • Evening Times (Glasgow)
  • Financial Times
  • The Herald (Glasgow)
  • The Guardian
  • Independent on Sunday
  • Mail on Sunday
  • The National (Scotland)
  • The Observer
  • Press & Journal (Aberdeen)
  • Scotland on Sunday
  • Sunday Express
  • Sunday Herald (Glasgow)
  • Sunday Mail (Scotland)
  • Sunday Mirror
  • Sunday Telegraph
  • Sunday Times
  • The Times

Copyright statement

You should include the following copyright statement with all copies, including digital copies:

'NLA licensed copy. No further copies may be made except under licence. You cannot copy or distribute further.'

An ERA licence allows the University to make recordings of broadcasts from TV and radio for non-commercial use within the teaching and learning environment.

You may make recordings from all ERA members. Access to pay TV services may be restricted, so please check the terms and conditions or contact us for assistance.

You may not record broadcasts made by providers who are not ERA members. Check the list of ERA members on the ERA website before making a recording.

Recording from on-demand services

The ERA licence allows you to access and download content from on-demand services such as BBC iPlayer, ITV Player and 4oD.

Recording extracts or parts of broadcasts

You may record extracts or parts of broadcasts for use in teaching and learning.

Adapting recordings

You may not adapt or amend recordings, other than by adding subtitles for students with a hearing impairment. See our copyright exceptions section for more information.

Using podcasts

Podcasts from any ERA members are covered under the licence.

Podcasts produced by non-members are not covered. If you wish to use these please contact Information Services for advice.

Using YouTube content

The ERA licence does not cover material accessed directly from YouTube. If you wish to use content from YouTube please contact Information Services for advice.

Embedding recordings in PowerPoint presentations

You may embed recording made by ERA members, as long as:

  • you include the ERA labelling information, and
  • access is restricted to UK-based students only by a secure method

Storing and copying recording

You may retain, store and copy recordings in both digital and analogue formats.

You can make recordings available on DVD, or store them in digital form.

You may show recordings to staff or students in class or off-site via secure access to Myplace, for non-commercial educational purposes only.

Please note, off-site access is restricted to UK students only.

Access for students based overseas

The licence does not permit recordings of either hard copy form or electronic means to be made available to distance learning students outside the UK.

If the recording is not covered by the ERA licence then a copyright exception permits access by secure electronic means to students who are based overseas. Please contact us for advice.

Acknowledging recordings

You must clearly label all recordings, both digital or in hard copy, showing the following information:

  • date (when the recording was made)
  • name of the broadcaster
  • programme title

The wording “This recording is to be used only for educational and non-commercial purposes under the terms of the ERA Licence”.


eStream is a video streaming service offered by the University.

eStream allows staff to search, select and schedule a recording of most TV, on-demand and radio broadcasts. The recording is automatically uploaded to the eStream server and made available to staff and students in line with the ERA licence requirements. Contact Information Services for more information.

The University has a collective TV licence which covers all buildings.

Individual departments do not need to purchase a separate licence. If you receive a payment request from the TV Licensing Agency please contact Estates.

The televisions supplied in the shared flats of most student halls of residence (in the communal area of each flat) are covered by the University's collective TV licence.

A Digimap licence allows staff and students to re-use maps and geospatial data including Ordnance Survey (OS) data for educational purposes.

Acknowledging use of Digimap/OS data

The acknowledgement required varies dependent upon the type of data you have used. Check Digimap's FAQs for the most up-to-date information.

Including OS data in your coursework, dissertation or thesis

The licence allows you to use OS data from Digimap in pieces of work to be made available within the institutional repository. You are subject to conditions relating to format and size, however. It's important to check these requirements.

If you are using geographical data/maps that are not covered by this licence, please check the terms of use.

If you wish to go on to publish your thesis you should contact Digimap for guidance.

Using Digimap extracts on social media

You may use Digimap extracts on Twitter and YouTube but not Facebook. 

Distance learners

Distance learners based in the UK may use Digimap content in their work.

The licence does not cover distance learning students who live outside of the UK.

Downloading and storing Digimap extracts to a mobile device

You may download and store Digimap content on your mobile device as long as:

  • the purpose is for teaching and learning, and
  • you have complied with the licence terms and conditions

Printed Music Licensing Ltd issues licences to allow the photocopying and arranging of sheet music as part of education.  Unlike the licences above, the University does not subscribe to The Higher Education Printed Music Licence (HEPML). Please see the guidance below on reusing sheet music.

Sheet music copyright

There are several parts of sheet music that may be protected by copyright including:

  • the music itself (notation) may be protected as a musical work
  • any lyrics may be protected as a literary work, and
  • copyright may exist in the typographical arrangement of a published edition which may belong to the publisher of the work

Copyright ownership

There could be a number of individuals involved including the composer, lyricist, arranger and the music publisher.

Most printed music contains a copyright statement detailing the copyright owner(s) and if they offer a licence for re-use.

In the UK copyright in a musical work last for 70 years after the death of the creator. This is also the case for literary work (which would cover song lyrics).

If the work was created jointly (by more than one individual) the copyright will last for 70 years after the death of the last surviving creator.

The typographical arrangement of a published edition last for 25 years from first publication.

If a work is unpublished the copyright will last for 70 years after the death of the creator or until 2039, whichever is later.

Copying printed music

If the copyright has expired then you are free to copy the work without infringing copyright.

If copyright still applies you can copy a limited amount of printed music, without permission, in limited circumstances:

  • for your own research and private study
  • for criticism, review and quotation
  • for parody, caricature and pastiche
  • for educational purposes such as teaching, examination or assessment

All of the exceptions are subject to ‘fair dealing’ which is a legal term used to establish whether or not the use of a copyright work is lawful or whether it infringes copyright. When applying the fair dealing test you should consider if the amount being copied is reasonable and appropriate to the context (e.g. do not use more than you need) and if the use of the copyright work would not adversely affect sales of the work. 

Fair dealing does not allow you to copy an entire work.

Guidance on the amount of a work that can be copied

The Music Publishers Association publishes a Code of Fair Practice (pdf) agreed between composers, publishers and users of printed music. This Code permits copying of music published by MPA members in some circumstances, two of which are:

  1. short excerpts (but not a whole work or movement) may be copied for private study and research but not for performance purposes
  2. In an emergency if music is lost or damaged before a pre-arranged concert copies can be made as long as replacements are purchased later; if the music is hired the copy should be returned with the other hired copies.

Copying a whole work

You would need to seek permission to copy a whole work, unless the copyright has expired. Please contact us for help.

Some, but not all, music publishers are represented by the Music Publishers Association which may be able to offer assistance in tracing the copyright owner of a piece of work. As no central licensing body exists it makes the reuse of music very restrictive.