Find your IP address
An Internet Protocol (IP) address is a unique string of numbers separated by full stops.
IP addresses identify each computer using the Internet Protocol to communicate over a network.
Find the IP address of a Mac laptop or computer
- Select the Apple icon from your computer's desktop
- Select 'System Preferences'
- Select 'Network'
- Select either 'Ethernet' or 'Wi-Fi'
- Your IP address should be displayed under 'Status'
Find the IP address of a Windows laptop or computer
- Select the Start menu
- Type ‘cmd’ and press enter or search
- This will open the 'Command' window
- With Windows 8 and 10 you can use the Search Windows function to locate and open the Command window
- Ethernet (wired) connection: Look for 'IPv4 Address' under 'Ethernet adapter'
- Wireless (Wi-Fi) connection: Look for 'IPv4 Address' under 'Wireless adapter'