Occupational HealthOccupational Health FAQs

The University does not provide Hep B vaccinations. Hep B vaccinations are only free on NHS to healthcare workers.  

However, some GPs are still willing to provide Hep B on the NHS, but the vaccination itself would still have to be paid for at current NHS prescription charges. Other GPs may agree to do vaccinations on a private patient basis and the charges will vary for this service. 

There are private travel clinics where Hep B vaccinations are provided and these are listed below.  Some offer student discounts.

For members of staff a claim for the cost of the vaccine can be made to their Department if, following risk assessment, it is a Health and Safety requirement. In the case of students, it is up to the Department if they want to pay for it or make it a student expense as a requirement of the course.

Travellers going abroad may need immunisations against infectious diseases. Advice on immunisations and other forms of medication should be accessed as early as possible and at least 8 weeks before travelling as some vaccinations require time to take effect.

These kits can be loaned out to staff and students travelling abroad on University business and there is a small charge. Please complete the Emergency Travel Kit Request Form and submit to occupationalhealth@strath.ac.uk.

More information can be found on our travel health webpage.


All staff should undertake an online self-assessment - for more information and registration please go to Display Screen Equipment On-Line Awareness.

University of Strathclyde Breastfeeding Support Statement

The University wishes to fully support colleagues who are returning to work following a period of Family Leave and who choose to continue to breastfeed or express during working hours. When working on-campus, colleagues are welcome to breastfeed or express milk in spaces that suit their circumstances. We understand that some staff prefer privacy when breastfeeding or expressing milk and the University has therefore created suitable rest facilities across the Campus to help them do this; Rooms have been established in University buildings equipped with a chair where staff can breastfeed or express milk and a fridge for the storage of expressed milk. These rooms allow colleagues the opportunity to breastfeed or express in privacy. 

Below is a list of rooms that have been established to support colleagues who require to breastfeed or express milk. However, if preferable, any comfortable, private room that can be accessed and that is deemed more suitable can be used for this purpose.

Breastfeeding rooms.
Curran IS Library and Information Resources 417
Hamnett Wing Strathclyde Institute of Pharmacy & Biomedical Science 214*
John Anderson Estates Services 733a
McCance Estates Services 450
Technology & Innovation Centre (TIC) Estates Services 205

*Room 214 is only accessible to Science Faculty staff who have a staff card that allows access to the Hamnett Wing.

Heads of Department/Line Managers are required to support nursing colleagues by giving staff time during the working day to express milk or, where the staff member is working in an Agile manner, to breastfeed. For staff who are working Agilely, Line Managers will consider and provide additional flexibility to ensure that the staff member can breastfeed or express milk at a location/time which suits them and their child.

Colleagues are asked to let their line manager know as early as possible that they will be breastfeeding when they return to work following a period of Family Leave. This allows for the risk assessment that should be undertaken for all New and Expectant Mothers to be reviewed and updated accordingly so that any further support needed for expressing/breastfeeding can be discussed.

The University cannot take responsibility for the storage of milk that is left in fridges within our buildings. However, advice on the safe storage of breast milk can be found on the NHS website.

Further guidance to help colleagues through pregnancy, maternity leave and their return to work can be found on our Maternity Toolkit.   

Display screen equipment (DSE) users must ensure that they undergo an eyesight and eye examination before first commencing DSE work, and at suitable intervals thereafter. In Scotland eyesight tests which are carried out by an Ophthalmic Optician, or a registered Medical Practitioner with suitable qualifications, are free of charge, however, there may be a charge for completing a DSE-specific eye exam. This charge would be refunded. If the eye test is carried out in another country, then the University would reimburse the charge for the full eye test.

Where glasses with corrective lenses, necessary for DSE work, are required, the University, via the claimant’s department, will cover the cost of a basic pair of glasses up to £54 in value.

When making a claim for glasses, a copy of the prescription must be provided which clearly states that corrective lenses are necessary for DSE work. A copy of the receipt must be included in the expenses request

The University is only required to contribute towards the cost of glasses where the eye test shows the user needs glasses for the specific ocular distance for DSE work. Glasses that are prescribed for non-DSE work on an ordinary prescription, such as for distance, driving or reading, will not be reimbursed by the University

Occupational Health Service Standard - Display Screen Equipment

For Prescription Safety Glasses please see Procurement Services Webpage - Framework Agreements in Place.