Advanced Materials Research LaboratoryMetallographic techniques
Our expert (Mr James Kelly) has 30+ years’ experience in metallographic preparation and microscopy, with excellent skills in etching a variety of metals and knowledge for interpretation of microstructures.
Abrasive cutter & precision cutter
- Various types and sizes of abrasive wheels to carefully section any specimen
- With a 250mm diameter cutting disc (for the abrasive cutter) and a 150mm disc (for the precision cutter)
- Option to open the side for continuous long materials
- Recirculated coolant to reduce overheating of specimens.
Cold and hot mounting
- Automatic hot mounting presses
- Mould sizes of 30mm and 40mm diameter
- Hydraulic operation with automatic water cooling (for hot mounting)
- Several pressure modes
- Correct encapsulation of material is ensured for grinding/polishing.
- With manual or automatic options
- A selection of rotational speeds and applied loads provide flexibility to suit individual materials
- Selection of different SiC papers and polishing pads for a broad range of material preparation
- Etching solutions for all materials.