Updates on the academic outputs of the Marine Benefits project are provided on this page. We welcome suggestions, comments and other feedback.
Marine Policy special issue
A special issue of the international peer-reviewed journal Marine Policy on "SDG Synergies for Sustainable Fisheries and Poverty Alleviation" was published online in 2017 and in print in 2019. The special issue aims to offer a multi-disciplinary, critical and multi-scale analysis of fisheries governance as part of the overarching sustainable development agenda (from local to regional and global levels) carried out by different specialists (academics and practitioners) in international fisheries law and policy, management, science and economics. On the one hand, the special issue will explore the different tenets of Sustainable Development Goals (SDG) 14 through the concepts of ecosystem services and poverty alleviation as elements of the ecosystem approach to fisheries. On the other hand, the special issue will systematically discuss the interactions and tensions between the various tenets of SDG 14 and the other SDGs.
- Daniela Diz and Elisa Morgera, Insights for sustainable small-scale fisheries, in K. Schreckenberg et al (eds), Ecosystem Services and Poverty Alleviation: Trade-offs and Governance (Routledge, 2018) 288-301
- Andrew Kenny, Neil Campbell, Mariano Koen-Alonso, Pierre Pepin and Daniela Diz, 'Delivering Sustainable Fisheries through the Adoption of a Risk-based Framework as Part of an Ecosystem Approach to Fisheries Management' (2018) 93 Marine Policy 232-240
- Daniela Diz et al, 'Mainstreaming Marine Biodiversity into the SDGs: The Role of Other Effective Area-based Conservation Measures (SDG 14.5)' (2018) 93 Marine Policy 251-261
- Mara Ntona and Elisa Morgera, Connecting SDG 14 with the other Sustainable Development Goals through Marine Spatial Planning (2018) 93 Marine Policy 214-222
- Elisa Morgera and Mara Ntona, Linking Small-Scale Fisheries to International Obligations on Marine Technology Transfer (2018) 93 Marine Policy 295-306
- Meriwether Wilson and Catherine Forsyth, Restoring near-shore marine ecosystems to enhance climate security for island ocean states: Aligning international processes and local practices (2018) 93 Marine Policy 284-294
While we work on these outputs, we aim to share preliminary findings of our research, at earlier stages of the project, as blog posts, with a view to obtaining feedback from a broad range of stakeholders.
Marine benefits project:
Related blog posts from the BeneLex project:
- Elisa Morgera, Benefit-sharing in marine areas beyond national jurisdiction: where are we at? (Part V) (January 2018)
- Elisa Morgera, Benefit-sharing in marine areas beyond national jurisdiction: where are we at? (Part IV) (July 2016);
- Mara Ntona, The First World Ocean Assessment: A Benefit-sharing Perspective (February 2016);
- Mara Ntona, The tranfer of marine technology as benefit-sharing (November 2015);
- Mara Ntona, Benefit-sharing and marine scientific research (November 2015);
- Elisa Morgera, Benefit-sharing in marine areas beyond national jurisdiction: where are we at? (Part III) (March 2015);
- Elisa Morgera, Benefit-sharing in marine areas beyond national jurisdiction: where are we at? (Part II) (July 2014);
- Elisa Morgera, Benefit-sharing in marine areas beyond national jurisdiction: where are we at? (Part I) (May 2014).
- Elisa Morgera, Equity and benefit sharing from marine genetic resources in areas beyond national jurisdiction, (IIED, 2018);
- Daniela Diz, Sharing the Benefits of Sustainable Fisheries: From Global to Local Legal Approaches to Marine Ecosystem Services for Poverty Alleviation (Science – Policy Analysis) (SSRN, 2017);
- Daniela Diz, Unravelling the Intricacies of Marine Biodiversity Conservation and its Sustainable Use: An Overview of Global Frameworks and Applicable Concepts (SSRN, 2016);
- BENELEX Working Paper #1: Conceptualizing Benefit-Sharing as the Pursuit of Equity in Addressing Global Environmental Challenges by Elisa Morgera (SSRN, 2014);
- BENELEX Working Paper #5: Justice, Equity and Benefit-sharing under the Nagoya Protocol to the Convention on Biological Diversity by Elisa Morgera (SSRN, 2015);
- BENELEX Working Paper #6: An International Legal Concept of Fair and Equitable Benefit-sharingby Elisa Morgera (SSRN, 2015);
- Elisa Morgera, The Ecosystem Approach under the Convention on Biological Diversity: A Legal Research Agenda (SSRN, 2015).