The Institute of Photonics operates an industry-standard cleanroom suite, currently located in the Technology and Innovation Centre, University of Strathclyde. It comprises fabrication and test equipment for manufacture of micro-scale optoelectronic and photonic devices. All of this equipment is available for external access on a hands-on or serviced basis.
The primary use of the microfabrication facility in the Institute’s current research is production of customised GaN micro-LED arrays. However, the toolset is very versatile. It has also been used to fabricate InP and GaAs-based laser diodes, micro-optic components in diamond and sapphire, polymer flexible circuits, and bio-medical instrumentation, amongst other applications.
Major pieces of equipment
- Chemical workstations housed in a photolithography cleanroom, including photoresist spinners, hotplates, and ultrasonic baths.
- Karl Suss MA6 mask aligner for contact lithography down to 2 micron resolution.
- Oxford plasma-enhanced chemical vapour deposition system for silicon oxide deposition.
- CVC sputter system equipped with 8-inch gold, titanium and aluminium targets.
- Edwards e-beam evaporator with 4-position hearth, used with metals including gold, nickel, titanium, aluminium and palladium.
- Jipelec rapid thermal annealing system.
- Two STPS inductively coupled plasma etch systems, with chlorine, boron trichloride, oxygen, argon and hydrogen available as prcess gases. These tools are particularly effective in processing of materials resistant to more traditional etching techniques, including GaN, SiC, diamond and sapphire.
- Two Oxford reactive ion etch tools, respectively optimised for etching of dielectrics with fluorine chemistry, and for sputter etching, for example of metal layers.
- Matrix plasma asher for descum.
- Speciality Coating Systems parylene deposition tool.
- Cleanroom metrology equipment: Filmetrics spectroscopic reflectometer, Dektak stylus profiler, and optical microscopes.
- Kulicke and Soffa wedge wirebonder.
- Fineplacer flip-chip bonder with 5 micron X-Y positioning accuracy.
- Probe station and network analyser for electrical characterisation.