I am Professor of Marketing and Head of the Department of Marketing.
My area of research expertise is in international marketing, focusing specifically on the internationalisation of retail firms. My teaching is also international marketing focused. Taking an institutional theory lens, my current research themes include the franchise relationship in China, the history of the internationalisation of retailing and the impact of regulation on the progress of retail internationalisation in emerging markets.
I am currently Chair of the Academy of Marketing. I am also recent past Chair of the Academy of Marketing Research Committee and was Conference Chair for the Academy of Marketing's 2013 Annual Conference on the theme of 'Marketing Relevance'. I served two terms of office on the Chartered Institute of Marketing's Academic Senate. I am a member of the Royal Anniversary Trust's Readers Panel which assesses the Queen's Anniversary Awards for Further and Higher Education. I have recently been appointed as a member of the REF2021 Business and Management sub-panel.
Has expertise in:
Has expertise in:
- market entry mode strategy
- international franchising
- international divestment
- the history of international retailing
Prizes and awards
- Editors' Pick Article Collection, Business History Review (ABS4)
- Chair, Academy of Marketing
- Chair, Academy of Marketing Research Committee
- Deputy Chair, Academy of Marketing
- Nominated for University Teaching Excellence Award
- Deputy Chair, Academy of Marketing Research Committee
More prizes and awards
BA (Hons), University of Ulster; PhD, University Strathclyde
I teach international marketing and related subjects to undergraduate students and masters students on our MSc International Marketing programme:
MK325 International Marketing
MK415 International Business Management
MK808 Strategic Global Marketing
My research mainly focuses on the internationalisation of the firm, with particular emphasis on the retail sector. As such, my work sits within the 'Business Innovation and Networks' research cluster in the Department of Marketing. My research is published in journals such as Business History Review, Business History, Work, Employment and Society, the Journal of Business Research, Journal of International Marketing, European Journal of Marketing, International Marketing Review and the Journal of Marketing Management.
I am an Associate Editor of the International Marketing Review and the Journal of Marketing Management. I also sit on the editorial review board of the European Journal of Marketing and have been a recipient of the European Journal of Marketing Outstanding Reviewer of the Year Award. I have edited special issues of the International Marketing Review, European Journal of Marketing and, most recently, the Journal of Marketing Management.
- Academy of Marketing Annual Conference: "Reframing Marketing Priorities"
- Carnegie Trust for the Universities of Scotland (External organisation)
- EMAC 2018 (Event)
- REF2021 Panel Member for C17 Business and Management Studies (Event)
- Peer reviewer
- European Journal of Marketing (Journal)
- Guest editor
- 48th Academy of Marketing Conference
- Member of programme committee
More professional activities
- Scottish ESRC Doctoral Training Centre DTG 2011 | Pyper, Keith Lawrie
- Gounaris, Spiros (Principal Investigator) Gounaris, Spiros (Principal Investigator) Doherty, Anne Marie (Co-investigator) Wilson, Alan (Co-investigator) Pyper, Keith Lawrie (Research Co-investigator)
- 01-Jan-2013 - 11-Jan-2018