My research interests are focused on the interactions of solid particle erosion and wear of materials in corrosive environments, with specific emphasis on the development of mapping techniques for understanding the mechanisms of materials loss. These include oil & gas, bio-medical and marine renewable fields. I head up the Tribology Research Group in the Department. I am a Fellow of the Institute of Physics (CPhys, FInsP), of the Institute of Materials, Mining and Minerals (FIMMM) and the Institution of Engineers of Ireland (CEng, FIEI).
I lead the EPSRC funded ReC-ASM project which aims to optimize materials in marine and tidal energy conversion.
I am the author/co-author of approximately 200 publications (125 journal articles) and have a H index of 28.
I have presented my research findings at over 70 international/national conferences.
I lead the International Network on Tribo-Corrosion (TrICorr-Net) and sit on several editorial boards including Tribology International.
I am Editor-in-Chief of Journal of Bio- and Tribo-Corrosion (Springer).
I was Conference Chair for Tribo-Corrosion 2014 Glasgow, April 2014 and was Overseas Chair for Tribo-Corrosion V, Hyderabad, India, December 2016.
- 17th Nordic Symposium on Tribology
- Keynote/plenary speaker
- International Conference on Metallurgical Coatings and Thin Films
- Member of programme committee
- TriboUK 2016
- Keynote/plenary speaker
- Engineering Faculty invited lecture, Pontifical Catholic University of Chile
- Lewis Symposium
- Invited speaker
- EPSRC (Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council) (External organisation)
more professional activities
- Marine Renewable Infrastructure Network for Enhancing Technologies 2 MARINET II
- Johnstone, Cameron (Principal Investigator) Day, Alexander (Co-investigator) Stack, Margaret (Co-investigator)
- Period 01-Jan-2017 - 30-Jun-2021
- Centre for Advanced Materials for Renewable Energy Generation: CAMREG
- Stack, Margaret (Principal Investigator)
- Period 01-Dec-2016 - 30-Nov-2020
- Medical Devices Doctoral Training Centre Renewal | Sadiq, Kamran
- Stack, Margaret (Principal Investigator) Black, Richard (Co-investigator) Sadiq, Kamran (Research Co-investigator)
- Period 01-Oct-2011 - 01-Mar-2016
- Doctoral training centre in wind energy systems | Siddons, Craig
- Stack, Margaret (Principal Investigator) Nash, David (Co-investigator) Siddons, Craig (Research Co-investigator)
- Period 01-Oct-2013 - 01-Oct-2016
- Doctoral training centre in wind energy systems | Macdonald, Hamish
- Stack, Margaret (Principal Investigator) Nash, David (Co-investigator) Macdonald, Hamish (Research Co-investigator)
- Period 01-Oct-2012 - 01-Oct-2016
- Doctoral training centre in wind energy systems | Keegan, Mark
- Nash, David (Principal Investigator) Stack, Margaret (Co-investigator) Keegan, Mark (Research Co-investigator)
- Period 01-Oct-2009 - 26-Aug-2014
Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering
James Weir Building
View University of Strathclyde in a larger map