*Childcare Eligibility at a glance
Students must be eligible under the residency rules set out in part 2 of schedule 3 the Education (Access Funds) (Scotland) (No.2) Determination 2016. (If you meet the residency eligibility to receive a student loan for living costs from SAAS you should meet the criteria for the Childcare Fund)
Must be attending an eligible full-time course of study, as defined by SAAS. This includes Postgraduate courses that qualify for tuition fee loan funding from SAAS
Must have used full entitlement of all other available support such as student loan and bursaries. Lone parents should also have claimed the Lone Parents Grant from SAAS. All students should have claimed any Child Tax Credits, free nursery places and other support to which they are entitled. Students must meet the eligibility criteria for tuition fee support to be eligible for assistance from the Childcare Fund. RUK students should apply to their funding body for the Childcare Grant. Lone parent students who aren’t eligible for tuition fee support due to previous study are still eligible to the Lone Parent Childcare Grant.
Must be paying registered childcare costs. Childcare providers (Nurseries, Child Minders and Nannies that are recruited through agencies that are registered with the Care Inspectorate.) must be registered with the Care Inspectorate.
*Full eligibility can be found in the SAAS Higher Education Childcare Funds Guidance and the University of Strathclyde Childcare Fund Policy.
The University receives an allocation of Childcare Fund from the Student Awards Agency Scotland (SAAS). SAAS issues guidance on administering the Fund and the University has a policy to best manage local demands. In order to ensure that the Childcare Fund can assist as many students as possible we have a University of Strathclyde Childcare Fund Policy for Childcare Fund applications.
The Childcare Fund is intended to provide a significant contribution to childcare costs, but is not intended to cover the full cost of wraparound, full time childcare.
The Childcare Fund will help students over their academic year:
- Undergraduates - Monday 10th September 2018 – Friday 14th December 2018 and Monday 7th January 2019 – Friday 17th May 2019
- PGDE – 22nd August 2018– Friday 14th December 2018 and Monday 7th January 2019 – Friday 17th May 2019
- Postgraduates - Monday 10th September 2018 – Friday 14th December 2018 and Monday 7th January 2019 – Tuesday 31st July 2019
When assessing your application we will take into account the following:
- We will expect you to use any free childcare places or equivalent discount to which you are entitled under the Scottish Government’s scheme for 3 and 4 year olds. If you choose to use a provider that does not participate in the scheme, this may be reflected in a reduced award from the Fund.
- If you are eligible we expect you to apply for the Childcare element of Working Tax Credit to help with the cost of childcare.
- For lone parents, we will also take into account the Lone Parent Childcare Grant which we will assess at the same time as your Childcare Fund application.
- We will also take into account the overall cost of your childcare and the cost per hour or session.
- We will consider how the childcare applied for relates to your study commitments and personal circumstances.
- We will also consider whether anyone who shares caring responsibilities for your child(ren) can provide some of the childcare you need.
Depending on the demand on the Fund, level of awards could change throughout the year.
Your Childcare needs and how we will make payments
We will make an assessment based on your projected Childcare needs and costs for the Semester and will make an award accordingly. We will only reassess you award in the event of a significant change in your circumstances (for example if there was a major change to your timetable that resulted in increased Childcare need).
Wherever possible we will pay your award direct to your Childcare provider(s).
We have an online calculator which can estimate the support you may be eligible to receive from the Childcare Fund. Please note that the calculator will estimate support for the whole academic session.
Lone Parent Childcare Grant if you are a lone parent who has registered childcare costs and have received your Lone Parents Grant from SAAS, you can apply for this supplementary support directly from the University.
Student Financial Support Team
How to apply
Childcare Funding 2018-2019 Semester 1
IN SEMESTER 1 THE CLOSING DATE IS 21 DECEMBER 2018.
Childcare Fund application for Semester 2 (including Annex B)
IN SEMESTER 2 THE CLOSING DATE FOR UNDERGRADUATE AND PG DIPLOMA STUDENTS IS 29 MARCH 2019; AND 31 MAY 2019 FOR MSc STUDENTS.
Student Financial Support Privacy Notice