*Childcare Eligibility at a glance
Students must be eligible under the residency rules set out in part 2 of schedule 3 the Education (Access Funds) (Scotland) (No.2) Determination 2016. (If you meet the residency eligibility to receive a student loan for living costs from SAAS you should meet the criteria for the Childcare Fund)
Must be attending an eligible full-time course of study, as defined by SAAS. This includes Postgraduate courses that qualify for tuition fee loan funding from SAAS
Must have used full entitlement of all other available support such as student loan and bursaries. Lone parents should also have claimed the Lone Parents Grant from SAAS. All students should have claimed any Child Tax Credits, free nursery places and other support to which they are entitled. Students must meet the eligibility criteria for tuition fee support to be eligible for assistance from the Childcare Fund. RUK students should apply to their funding body for the Childcare Grant. Lone parent students who aren’t eligible for tuition fee support due to previous study are still eligible to the Lone Parent Childcare Grant.
Must be paying registered childcare costs. Childcare providers (Nurseries, Child Minders and Nannies that are recruited through agencies that are registered with the Care Inspectorate.) must be registered with the Care Inspectorate.
*Full eligibility can be found in the SAAS Higher Education Childcare Fund Guidance and the University of Strathclyde Childcare Fund Policy.
The University receives an allocation of Childcare Fund from the Student Awards Agency Scotland (SAAS). SAAS issues guidance on administering the Fund and the University has a policy to best manage local demands. In order to ensure that the Childcare Fund can assist as many students as possible we have a University of Strathclyde Childcare Fund Policy for Childcare Fund applications.
The Childcare Fund is intended to provide a significant contribution to childcare costs, but is not intended to cover the full cost of wraparound, full time childcare.
The Childcare Fund will help students over their academic year:
- Undergraduates - Monday 14th September 2020 – Friday 18th December 2020, Monday 11th January 2021 – Friday 21st May 2021
- PGDE – 19th August 2020– Friday 18th December 2020, Monday 11th January 2021 – Friday 21st May 2020
- Postgraduates - Monday 14th September 2020 – Friday 18th December 2020, Monday 11th January 2021 – Friday 30th July 2021
When assessing your application we will take into account the following:
- We will expect you to use any free childcare places or equivalent discount to which you are entitled under the Scottish Government’s scheme for 3 and 4 year olds. If you choose to use a provider that does not participate in the scheme, this may be reflected in a reduced award from the Fund.
- If you are eligible we expect you to apply for the Childcare element of Working Tax Credit to help with the cost of childcare.
- For lone parents, we will also take into account the Lone Parent Childcare Grant which we will assess at the same time as your Childcare Fund application.
- We will also take into account the overall cost of your childcare and the cost per hour or session.
- We will consider how the childcare applied for relates to your study commitments and personal circumstances.
- We will also consider whether anyone who shares caring responsibilities for your child(ren) can provide some of the childcare you need.
Depending on the demand on the Fund, level of awards could change throughout the year.
Your Childcare needs and how we will make payments
We will make an assessment based on your projected Childcare needs and costs for the Semester and will make an award accordingly. We will only reassess you award in the event of a significant change in your circumstances (for example if there was a major change to your timetable that resulted in increased Childcare need).
We will pay the award into your bank account on a monthly basis to allow you to pay the childcare provider(s). Before each payment is made your registration status will be checked to make you are still a registered student. If you finish your course or go into Voluntary Suspension, Academic Suspension or Registration with Attendance your award will stop.
We have an online calculator which can estimate the support you may be eligible to receive from the Childcare Fund. Please note that the calculator will estimate support for the whole academic session.
Lone Parent Childcare Grant if you are a lone parent who has registered childcare costs and have received your Lone Parents Grant from SAAS, you can apply for this supplementary support directly from the University.
Funding and Financial Support Team
How to apply
- Students have to apply to the childcare fund each semester. The current application is to cover semester 1 childcare. Students who apply for support with semester 1 childcare will be contacted when applications open for semester 2.
- You complete the application form and your childcare provider(s) complete Annex A detailing what childcare they have been asked to provide and the cost.
- Submit the application form, Annex A and supporting documents by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Incomplete applications or applications missing the supporting documents we have asked for will be delayed.
The closing date for undergraduates to apply to the Childcare fund has now passed. Applications are for PG students only.
Semester 2 Application and Annex B:
Childcare Funding Semester 2
Funding and Financial Support Privacy Notice