Study with usTuition fees & funding for EU students

An EU student is generally someone who in an EU citizen and has been ordinarily resident in the EU, the EU overseas territories, elsewhere in the EEA or Switzerland for the three years immediately before their course and will be here on the first day of the first academic year of the course (the relevant date) For the majority of students who start their course in the autumn term, the relevant date is 1 August.

If you have any doubt about your residency eligibility please contact Student Awards Agency Scotland (SAAS) or speak to one of our Financial Support Advisers.

Further information about these conditions, and exceptions that apply, is available in the SAAS guide to the residence conditions

Tuition fees

The tuition fees for your course depends on the course you’re on, your level of study and where you permanently live. To find out the fees for each course please go to the appropriate course page or view our undergraduate fees for 2021/22.

2022/23 entry

University of Strathclyde EU Engagement Scholarships

The University of Strathclyde is a leading international technological university and we are proud to attract talented students from the European Union and around the world to study with us.

Now that the UK has left the EU, students from the European Union will no longer be eligible to claim home fee status in relation to University tuition fees. At Strathclyde, we recognise the additional financial implications for our current applicants from the EU.

We are therefore delighted to announce our EU Engagement Scholarships to support full-time undergraduate and postgraduate students commencing taught courses in 2023.

The scholarships will be available to those EU applicants who would have previously been eligible for Home (Scottish/EU) fee status but, because of Brexit, will now be classified as being eligible for international fee status.

Student loan & bursary

EU students are not usually able to apply for a student loan to help cover their living costs.

Although most EU students aren’t able to apply for a student loan and bursary in certain circumstances EU students may be able to apply for full support. For example:

  • if you have been in the UK for more than three years before you start your course
  • if you moved to the UK for work you may be eligible for full support as a migrant worker (this may also apply if you moved with a family member who is working in the UK)

You can find our more information in the SAAS “exceptions to the general residence conditions” booklet. If you feel you meet the criteria for full support you should contact SAAS or speak to one of our Student Financial Support Advisers at a drop in session.

How to apply

If you're coming as a new student, you don't have to wait until you have an offer from us to apply to SAAS for your funding. Get ahead of the crowd and complete your online funding application when SAAS opens in mid-April. 

All applications are for one academic year only, so make sure you apply every year

Visiting undergraduate (non-graduating, receiving credits)

Visiting EU nationals applying to the University on a non-graduating basis are required to pay tuition fees for their study period at Strathclyde.

Students coming for one semester will be required to pay approximately 50% of this fee depending on how many credits they are taking.

Scholarships & funding

We offer many different scholarships and funding opportunities for international students. Check out our country pages or our scholarship search to see what you can apply for.