Outstanding education and student experience
Our commitment to delivering high-quality learning and teaching and an outstanding student experience continues to reflect our founding mission. As the place of useful learning, we deliver a distinctive and innovative curriculum, fostering academic excellence and inclusive lifelong achievement underpinned by effective student support throughout every stage of the learner journey.
Partnership is at the heart of the learning experience at Strathclyde – students are partners in enhancing their experience, engaging in decision-making and in enacting change. Our diverse student body is fully engaged in learning which is flexible, problem-based and co-created with learners and employers, and through our partnership with our Students’ Union. We engage learners through an innovative blended approach of face-to-face and online interaction.
In educating Strathclyde students, and upskilling/reskilling/developing people in work and changing careers, we ensure they are challenged in an intellectually stimulating environment, which is informed by our strengths in research and knowledge exchange and is set in a context of global challenges and sustainability. Our extensive UK and international partnerships with industry, public and third sector partners and our significant strengths in research and knowledge exchange, enable our students to gain the knowledge, skills and experience they need to excel in a fast-moving world.
Our strategic approach to education delivers an enhanced and distinctive high-quality learning experience which equips our students with the skills, knowledge, attitudes and ambition with which to develop their careers and engage with global societal challenges. Our entrepreneurial education nurtures business talent in our students throughout their University and working lives.
As a socially progressive institution, the University is enabling access to education by people from the widest possible range of backgrounds, and all ages and stages of life, providing tailored personalised support, promoting wellbeing, and fostering onward success.
Our strategic aims
Strategic aim 1.1: We have a diverse and vibrant student population
We will achieve this by:
- enhancing our commitment to widening access and inclusion across the University, selecting, developing and supporting excellent students based on merit, potential and ability to benefit from the education we offer
- delivering seamless learner journeys for students with a wide range of prior educational experience and qualifications, working in close partnership with schools, colleges and employers and enabling entry with advanced standing wherever possible
- enhancing our postgraduate and continuing professional development (CPD) offerings, building our portfolio of work-based and lifelong learning opportunities and making significant strides with Strathclyde Online Learning
- ensuring our processes, policies and teaching approaches are inclusive and where necessary adapted to meet the needs of particular groups of students, notably those from under-represented or vulnerable groups, recognising intersectionality
Strategic aim 1.2: Our students have a co-created outstanding and distinctive student experience with high-quality student support throughout the learner journey
We will achieve this by:
- working in close partnership with our Students’ Union
- providing high-quality learning and teaching
- tailoring support to individuals and focusing on health and wellbeing as well as academic development and progress
- where needed, improving current levels of student retention, progression, attainment and satisfaction, including identifying, understanding and closing ‘attainment gaps’ where these are identified for particular groups of students
- providing an exceptional learning and teaching environment, and promoting our digital assets to enhance teaching, learning and the wider student experience
- providing distinctive Strathclyde experiences which are focused on ensuring our graduates are knowledgeable, skilled and successful in whatever they do, and are engaged and internationally aware
Strategic aim 1.3: Our students are taught by inspiring staff, using innovative approaches underpinned by high-quality infrastructure, and develop the knowledge, skills, aptitudes, attributes, experience and confidence to be successful and responsible lifelong global citizens
We will achieve this by:
- enabling our staff to deliver interactive, exploratory, action-oriented, inquiry-based, experiential and transformative learning
- investing in our learning and teaching infrastructure, technology systems and processes, and creating social spaces for communities of students and staff
- providing opportunities for our students to undertake an experiential learning experience, work placement, internship or work-based project with industry, public and third sector partners, including international experiences
- encouraging students to develop innovative entrepreneurial mindsets, including by expanding and promoting our entrepreneurship education provision, and providing budding entrepreneurs with multiple easy entry points to practical start-up support
- delivering graduates with the knowledge, attitudes and ambition with which to develop their careers and engage innovatively with societal challenges in dynamic workplaces
- placing education for sustainable development at the heart of our curricula, enabling our students to contribute to solving global challenges set out in the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and to fully understand how to become climate neutral