Knowledge Transfer Partnership (KTP) - IHE Stainless Ltd
IHE Stainless Ltd is a small metal fabrication company that manufactures different types of industrial furniture and components made of stainless steel and mild steel for a range of industries.
Over the course of many years, the company has been producing bespoke furniture resulting in a slow growth and difficulties in sales.
Therefore, the company is looking to change its role and to sell and manufacture its own products.
Juan Fuente Gonzalez - Design, Manufacture & Engineering Management.
This is a new product development project that combines three disciplines:
- product design
This project is a partnership between Strathclyde's Department of Design, Manufacture & Engineering Management and the Department of Marketing and includes:
- market research
- product development
- manufacturing management
- market strategy
- brand development
- commercialisation planning
- product planning
The aim of the project is to identify a market opportunity for architectural furniture and to design a family of products for that market all with the purpose of launching and commercialising the products by the end of the project.
Benefits to company
- the opportunity to enter a new market and focus on manufacturing their own products
- the ability to introduce and implement new manufacturing processes and strategies
- it will have a brand refreshment including a new web page and promotional material
- potential profit made from sales of the products
- the addition of new products to its portfolio
- expansion of company capabilities
Benefits to associate
- a unique opportunity to get involved in the development of a product from start to finish
- involvement in every stage of the project and the responsibility for managing every area of the project
- gaining new skill sets in a real world context and having the chance to develop a commercial product