The Engineering Academy is a pioneering programme that offers you an alternative route into university and employment as a Strathclyde student. The first year is an enhanced HNC programme with direct transfer into second year of one our engineering degrees.
The Academy is a collaboration between the University of Strathclyde, partner colleges and the engineering industry.
As part of the University’s outreach objective, the Academy was established to increase widening access participation by delivering various pathways to a range of engineering degrees in our leading Faculty of Engineering.
How the Engineering Academy worksFirst year is an enhanced HNC at a partner college
Your first year is taken as an enhanced HNC programme at one of the partner colleges together with practical skills units. The curriculum has been designed in consultation with the participating departments at the University.
Three separate HNC programmes have been developed to allow you to progress to a variety of degree programmes.
Students who achieve the required performance are guaranteed transfer to the second year of one undergraduate degree programmes:
- HNC Chemical Engineering allows you to progress to 2nd year of the undergraduate degrees in the Department of Chemical & Process Engineering
- HNC Electronics allows you to progress to 2nd year of the BEng Electronic & Electrical Engineering programme within the Department of Electronic & Electrical Engineering
- HNC General Engineering allows you to progress to 2nd year of the undergraduate degrees offered by the Departments of Design, Manufacture & Engineering Management; Civil & Environmental Engineering; Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering; and Naval Architecture, Ocean & Marine Engineering; and 1st year of the undergraduate degrees offered by the Department of Biomedical Engineering.
- You will be a registered student of the University of Strathclyde while you're completing year 1 in college
- Become familiar with University life
- You will have access to an academic counsellor at Strathclyde
- Electronic access to the University's Virtual Learning Environment
- You will be given your own Strathclyde email address and login
- Become a member of the Centre for Sports and Recreation
- Full access to the University Library
- Student membership of the University of Strathclyde Students' Association
- You're eligible to apply for accommodation on the University of Strathclyde campus
- In addition, you will have opportunities to apply for:
- Financial support from year 2 onwards via company sponsorships
- Specific mentoring and professional development with a sponsoring company
- Paid summer placements, allowing you to put your theory into practice, between year 2 and 3, and year 3 and 4
Industry sponsorship & placementsYou'll have opportunities to apply for paid summer placements
The Engineering Academy offers you the chance to engage with sponsoring companies who will mentor you throughout your studies and support your professional development, whilst providing paid summer placements. This will allow you to put the theory you learn into practice and get hands-on industrial experience.
The placements take place during the summer break between years 2 & 3 and 3 & 4. The continuous contact with your sponsor company ensures you have an enhanced CV, giving you an extra edge in today’s competitive job market.How to apply for the Engineering Academy