You have not even arrived and we are already talking to you about going home. This is because if you want to work in your home country then it is important to think about a few things while you are here.
- Do not forget your home network. Keep up with the latest news about employers you wish to work for and keep in touch with your contacts. Use Social Media to post about the interesting and relevant things you do while you are here and let them know when you are coming back.
- Use the international student resources on our website to start looking for jobs
- As a graduate of Strathclyde University you will also be able to use our Alumni network to make new contacts with other Strathclyde Alumni
If you want to stay in the UK after your study visa finishes then you need to do your research and plan well ahead. You MUST NOT overstay your visa as this is against the law.
- The UKCISA website has information on the types of visa that might be suited to international students wanting to remain
- You can find complete information on all of the types of working visas available on the Work Visa section of the UK Government’s website
- Please remember that the Careers Service CANNOT advise on visa options as we are not qualified or trained to do so
- Proposed 'Post-study Work'/Graduate Route. To date the University has no fine detail of the proposed Post Study Work visa other than what is currently being discussed in the news and on the UK Government webpages. The International Student Support Team will issue a communication when there is further information to share.
Looking for Work
- Graduate schemes in the UK start recruiting up to a year before the job would start. If you are looking to get this kind of job you may need to start applying as soon as you arrive.
- Target Jobs has information for international students on working in the UK and is a good resource for researching UK graduate employers
- The Careers Service website has lots of information and advice on every stage of the recruitment process but do research each employer on their own website before applying
- Employer information can be very useful when researching the labour market and identifying which companies and organisations you may wish to apply to for employment
- Check out the Key Dates below to get an idea of when things happen:
These dates are a rough guide to Graduate Recruitment in the UK. Some companies recruit all year round or at different times so do your research if there is a specific company you would like to work for.
- August to September – Many Graduate Employers open their graduate schemes for applications to jobs starting the following September
- October to January – This is the busiest time for job applications. You will have a lot going on with studying so plan ahead to stay organised
- February to April – Interviews and Assessment days take place around now. Use the resources on the Careers Website and attend events to help you to prepare
- May onwards – It is time to start planning ahead for when your course finishes. If you are not sure what you want to do then you may want to make an appointment with a Careers Consultant to discuss your options.
- Student Experience & Enhancement Services
- Print Services
- Estates Services
- Finance Directorate
- Human Resources Directorate
- Internal Audit
- Research & Knowledge Exchange Services
- Careers Home
- About Us
- for Students and Graduates
- Strathclyde PhDs
- University Staff
- Prospective Students
- Equality and Diversity
- for Graduates
- Law Fair
- Scottish Graduate Fair
- Skills Employers Want