International students Visas & immigration

Visas and immigration

The new Student visa came in to effect at 0900h on 5th October 2020.    This route is applicable to all visa applications in relation to studying at the University of Strathclyde for longer than 6 months, including those from EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein who are starting a course of study from 01 January 2020 or who have already started courses but arriving after 2300h on 31 December 2020 when the UK formally leaves the EU. 

If you are coming to the UK to study for a period of less than 6 months then please use the 'Check if I need a visa' tool and follow the instructions there.

Graduate Route

The Graduate Route will enable international students in the UK who have successfully completed a degree at undergraduate level or higher to work or look for work for two years, or three years for doctoral students. This route will open at 9am on 1 July 2021.

Schengen Visa

Some Tier 4 and Student visa holders will require a visa to visit the EU; take a look at Schengen visa guidance.

Start-up Visa

For Strathclyde students who have completed a degree programme at Strathclyde and wish to remain in the UK after their studies are complete to develop a new innovative, viable and scalable business idea. See the Stathclyde Inspire's Start-Up Visa website for eligibility information. To be eligible for this visa engagement with Strathclyde Inspire, the University's entrepreneurship programme, is required for at least 6 months.

During studies

Exam board decisions may have an impact on a student's Tier 4 or Student visa and immigration status.  Further information can be found in our guidance

Inviting Family and Friends

You may wish to invite family and friends to visit you while you are in the UK.  Check the Home Office website for information on the Standard Visitor Visa application process.  Supporting documents that you can provide to aid their application are listed below:

  • Student Status letter – Available via Pegasus; simply download the pdf and print.
  • Invitation letter – There is no requirement for you to have a formal invitation letter from the University, however you may wish to write an invitation letter to support your relative/friend's visitor visa application.  Please visit Sample Relatives Letter for a sample letter.   Please note there is no requirement for this letter to be on University headed paper or to be signed and stamped by the University.