How do I prepare
Things to do:
- Attend Assessment Centre seminars held in the Careers Service. Some of these are run by employers.
- Use the assessment centre module in our online career management tools to find out more
- Watch the At the Assessment Centre video series
(Please note: these videos work best with Chrome or Firefox)
to watch the video with subtitles visit the Subtitled video index or view the At the Assessment Centre DVD and the Assessment Centre Video (part of Selection Success in One DVD) in the Resource Centre.
- Read TARGETjobs advice about assessment centres
- Read Prospects advice about assessment centres
- Read University of Kent's advice about assessment centres
- Practice Psychometric Tests
- Research the sample materials in the Assessment Centres folder in the Careers Resource Centre.
- Have a go at examples online of Case Study Interviews .
- Read Prospects advice about giving presentations at an assessment centre
Download our Assessment Centre Checklist
Attend one of the Skills Sessions presented by employers, or one of our short briefing sessions. Check the events calendar on MyCareer.
- Preparing for presentations
- Acing assessment centres : presentations blog post
- Student Skill Store - create design and deliver brilliant presentations (Youtube)
- What is an in-tray exercise? advice from TARGETjobs
Before the Day:
- Research the organisation - again! You should have done the research for the first interview - refresh your memory!
- Reflect on your first interview. How could you improve? If you weren't asked technical or functional questions you can expect them at the final interview - are you prepared?
- Expect the unexpected - you may be required to some work in the evening for the following day while at an Assessment Centre. This might involve preparing a presentation or reading a discussion paper. Be careful not to over indulge in the hospitality!
- As best you can - get a good nights sleep.
- Stay calm and be yourself!
Back to Assessment Centres
- Student Experience & Enhancement Services
- Print Services
- Estates Services
- Finance Directorate
- Human Resources Directorate
- Research & Knowledge Exchange Services