Where to find books and resources in the Library
Most books and resources in the Library have a classification number, called a Dewey number. You need to use this number to find the resource you're looking for.
We use the Dewey Decimal system to sort our resources by subject area. You can use browse a general subject area or use SUPrimo to find a specific resource's Dewey number. Dewey numbers may also be provided on your reading lists.
Use the following list to find the location of your subject's books in the Library. For example, if you were looking for a book with the Dewey number 636.15 BAI:
- find the 600s in the following table
- numbers 350 to 699 are on Level 4. Go there to find your book unless it's from the Short Loan Collection, which is on Level 3 (see the section titled Short Loan below).
- follow the signs on the ends of the bookshelves to find the number range you need, such as 630 to 646
- from here, make your way along the shelves to find the specific number. Books are all arranged numerically, by Dewey number, then by the first three letters of the author's last name (BAI)
- once you've found 636.15, make your way through the books to find the letters you need (BAI), then check the titles and editions of the books there to make sure you borrow the right one!
If you cannot find what you're looking for, please ask a member of staff in the Library or contact Information Services.
|Dewey number||Location in the Library|
|All numbers prefixed with a 'J' (children's books)||Level 5|
|001-999 UDC books||Level 1 (closed access).
Use the store request form to ask for items.
Where to find reference materials
Reference materials for all subjects except Law, and print journals for all subjects are stored on the moving shelves on Level 1.
Law reference materials are on Level 5.
Where to find Short Loan materials
All materials labelled 'Short Loan' in SUPrimo are stored in the Short Loan Collection on Level 3, next to the main enquiry desk.
Locations of other named collections
|Collections||Location in the Library|
|Atlas cases and shelves||Next to Law collection, Level 5.|
|Children's books||Level 5|
|Company reports||Closed access. Use store request form.|
|Giant picture books||Level 5|
|Government publications||Level 1|
|Government publications - store||Closed access. Use store request form.|
|Law reports||Level 5|
|Law serials||Level 1|
|Maps||Archives and Special Collections, Level 5.|
|Media - CDs, DVDs and kits||School of Education Resources Centre, Level 5.|
|Microform||Closed access. Use store request form.|
Today's editions are on Level 3, in the lounge area beside the security desk.
Back issues are stored on Level 2.
|Royal Scottish Geographical Society - Lending||Level 1|
|Royal Scottish Geographical Society - Reference||Archives and Special Collections, Level 5.|
|Royal Scottish Geographical Society - Serials||Level 1|
|Scottish Parliamentary Papers||Level 1|
|Short Loan Collection||Next to the main enquiry desk, Level 3.|
|Special Collections||Archives and Special Collections, Level 5.|
|Store - Dewey books||Closed access. Use store request form.|
|Store - Serials||Closed access. Use store request form.|
|Strathclyde Collection||Archives and Special Collections, Level 5|
|Theses||Closed access. Use thesis request form.|
|Waugh Jazz Records||Archives and Special Collections.|