Student Lifecycle Transfers & exchanges


If you have doubts about your course of study or your choice of university, it's important to address the issue.

You might find it helpful to speak to a Careers Adviser or the Advice Hub at Strathclyde Students’ Union. They can give impartial advice and guidance about your options. They can also help decide your next steps.

It’s important to look into the course that you want to transfer to. Please take a look at the details of our current courses. Make sure you meet the entry requirements for the course. You should gather as much information as you can about other courses you are interested in. Refer to course webpages and handbooks.

Some changes may not be possible due to professional bodies or other external regulations. It's best to take advice on what's available to you. And to be aware of any implications in respect of your specific circumstances.

You may wish to apply for a transfer to a different course within your own Department. Please liaise with your Personal Development Adviser/Course Administrator.

If you're applying for a transfer to a course out with your Department or Faculty, you should liaise with your Personal Development Adviser/Course Administrator. Visit the department you want to transfer to. Make enquiries about the acceptability of your qualifications. Your Personal Development Adviser should be able to put you in touch with the appropriate person in that department.

The majority of transfer decisions will depend on degree examination performance. They will not be finalised until after the August diet of examinations.

An application form can be downloaded or collected from Student Business. They are located on the ground floor of the McCance building. This form should be completed and given to the new department for approval. Then submitted to Student Business for processing.

Student Business will then send you an email confirming the change of course. Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences transfer requests need further approval by the Faculty. This process will be undertaken by Student Business and you will be informed of the outcome.


  • if you have a Tier 4 visa to study in the UK, the University will be required to inform UK Visas & Immigration (UKVI) of this change to your course
  • does your new course need an Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS) certificate? Before your transfer can be approved, you must get one and submit a copy to Student Business
  • if you are a UK/EU undergraduate student, we will inform the Student Loan Company of the change to your course


The University is part of several exchange schemes. If you're interested in taking part in an exchange, contact Recruitment & International Office. Exchanges to other parts of the world do take place. They are usually arranged at Department level. Contact your department for further information.

All exchanges have to be considered by the relevant Board of Study. They usually involve approval of a curriculum to be studied at the other institution. If approval is given you must still make arrangements for the Student Awards Agency Scotland (SAAS) or Local Education Authority (LEA) to pay your tuition fees during the period of your exchange.